Montana State University Billings Academic Counselor at City College in Billings, Montana
NBAPOSN Title Academic Advisor I
Working Title Academic Counselor at City College
Brief Position Overview
The Academic Counselor for City College is a full time year round position at MSU Billings.
Position Number 6N0060-00
Department Student Support Services/TRIO
Division Student Access and Success
Appointment Type Professional
Contract Term Fiscal Year
If other, specify From date
If other, specify End date
Union Affiliation FOCUS-MFPE
Benefits Eligible Yes
Salary $19.50 per hour.
Contract Type LOA
If other, please specify
Recruitment Type Open
Montana State University Billings is a preferred employer in the region-WE WANT YOU!
The following are reasons why you should join our team:
Holidays-10 paid holidays per year and General Election Day
Vacation- 15 days per year (New Employees to 10 years; after 10 years the accrual rate increases)
Sick Leave - Earned at an accrual rate of .0416125 for each hour in pay status.
Employee and Dependent Tuition Waiver
Opportunities to engage in professional development opportunities
Committed to employee wellness and access to a robust Employee Assistance Program
Medical Benefits that are robust and affordable
Visit MUS Benefits to learn more about our benefit package including Medical, Vision, and Dental
Life Insurance and Long Term Disability are incorporated into our benefits.
Learn more about our retirement benefits at MUS Retirement.
Opportunities for career growth and a variety of career paths
Campus vibrancy- coffee shops, FREE attendance to MSUB concerts, athletic events, and lectures, access to recreation center, library, etc.
Beautiful campus environment that features our MSUB Mile walking path
Duties and Responsibilities
• Manage the day-to-day activities of the TRIO SSS Mentor Program to serve a minimum of 140 low-income, first generation, and/or disabled students.
• Pre-advise students and assist in the supervision of student workers (Peer Mentors).
• Assist with the supervision of student workers.
• The person in this position works closely with other departments on both the City College and MSUB campuses.
• The Academic Counselor is responsible for most of the marketing for the TRIO SSS program at City College including but not limited to social media, website maintenance, marketing the program on the MSUB and City College campuses, and organizing and participating in various events
Required Qualifications - Experience, Education, Knowledge & Skills
• Bachelor’s degree in Education, Counseling, or Related Field.
• Manage a large caseload of student mentees.
• Basic marketing knowledge and experience, including social media.
• Excellent written and oral communication.
• Experience in handling sensitive/confidential situations and information.
• Strong interpersonal skills.
• Proven ability to work independently and part of a group.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and experience in organizing
and prioritizing simultaneous work assignments to meet deadlines.
• Ability to work alone and in a team setting; exercise initiative, good judgment, and independent decision making.
• Energetic and flexible, ability to work occasional evenings and weekends.
Preferred Qualifications - Experience, Education, Knowledge & Skills
• Master’s degree in Education, Counseling, or Related Field.
• Previous experience with SSS/TRIO programs.
• Financial literacy knowledge, including FAFSA.
• Two years’ work experience in a similar program, participation in a TRIO program, or two years’ experience working with low-income, first-generation, or students with disabilities.
The Successful Candidate Will
This position has supervisory duties? No
Posting Detail Information
Announcement Number S00762P
Number of Vacancies 1.0
Desired Start Date
Position End Date (if temporary)
Close Date 12/02/2022
Open until filled Yes
Special Instructions Summary
Quick Link for Internal Postings https://employment.msubillings.edu/postings/5841
Montana State University Billings is committed to providing a working and learning environment free from discrimination. As such, the University does not discriminate in the admission, access to or conduct of its educational programs and activities nor in its employment policies and practices on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ethnicity, creed, service in the uniformed services (as defined in state and federal law), veteran status, gender, age, political beliefs, marital or family status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, or sexual orientation or preference. In support of the University’s mission to be inclusive and diverse, applications from qualified minorities, women, veterans and persons with disabilities are highly encouraged.
Montana State University Billings makes accommodation for any known disability that may interfere with an applicant’s ability to compete in the hiring process or an employee’s ability to perform the duties of the job. In compliance with the Montana Veteran’s Employment Preference Act, MSU Billings provides preference in employment to veterans, disabled veterans, and certain eligible relatives of veterans. To claim veteran’s preference or request accommodation, contact the Human Resources Office, Montana State University Billings, 1500 University Drive, Billings, MT 59101-0298, 406-657-2278, firstname.lastname@example.org.
MSU Billings Non-Discrimination Policy and Discrimination Grievance Procedures can be located on the MSU Billings Website: http://www.msubillings.edu/humres/eeos.htm
Resume (or CV)
Letter of Reference 3