Billings Clinic Ambulatory Pharmacy Clinical Coordinator in Billings, Montana
Ambulatory Pharmacy Clinical Coordinator
Employment Status: Full-Time (.75 or greater)
Hours per Pay Period: 1.00 = 80 hours
Starting Wage DOE: $58.65 - $65.98
As a member of the Pharmacy Leadership Team the Pharmacy Clinical Coordinator, is responsible for
for leading, developing and implementing clinical pharmacy services to achieve optimal clinical
Develops objectives, policies, and procedures to formalize and implement the mission, vision, and
values of Billings Clinic and the Pharmacy Department. Maintains the standards, customer relations,
and practice within the Pharmacy and key stakeholders.
Accountabilities include but are not limited to:
• Provides leadership, serves as a role model and resource for staff, and direct supervision of
• Ensure clinical pharmacy programs and services meet the highest standards of quality, safety,
and high reliability to achieve optimal clinical outcomes.
• Serves as a liaison for provider and interdepartmental/intradepartmental relationships and
coordinates cross-functional clinical initiatives
• Participates and/or leads appropriate regulatory, clinical, and quality committees and/or
Essential Job Functions:
• Works with manager to develop, expand and oversee pharmacy services locally and within the
region to ensure adherence to organizational and departmental mission, vision, values, strategic goals,
and business strategies. Responsible for promotion of, and adherence to corporate compliance
• In collaboration with pharmacy, medical staff, administration, and health care providers, develops
and implements short and long-range strategies. Also, leads, develops, and revises programs which
enhance department and organization services.
• Leads the growth and strategic development of pharmacy services in the overall marketing, program
development, and service priorities. Coordinates with providers and other Billings Clinic leadership to
assure continuity in pursing pharmacy and organizational goals and synergy in implementing plans and
problem resolution. Coordinates and develops collaborative relationships with Billings Clinic
• a) Leads departmental and interdisciplinary team meetings to promote coordination of services as
appropriate. Participate, and lead as appropriate, in regulatory, clinical, and quality committees as
needed by department.
• b) As appropriate serve as senior clinical staff person and provide guidance for clinical operational
aspects of all programs. Provide oversight of all clinical decision-making aspects of all programs.
Ensure that qualified clinicians are accountable to the organization for decisions affecting
• Gathers, analyzes, and trends clinical, financial, and statistical data to evaluate and improve the
quality of care, safe and reliable care, adverse outcomes, cost-effective pharmaceutical therapies, and
service improvements. Develops, maintains and presents accurate, credible reports regarding patient
outcomes associated with services and clinical, financial and quality impacts, as directed.
• a) Evaluates financial opportunities for pharmacy services
• b) Reviews patient outcome trends for pharmacy development and service expansion opportunities
• c) Quantifies pharmacy services impact in outcomes measures
• Practices process improvement principles to assess and improve the quality of the service/care
provided within the department. Identifies issues/concerns relating to personnel, workflow, safety,
medication errors, etc. and works collaboratively with the Manager to resolve. Formulates
recommendations for appropriate cost-effective therapeutic alternatives to patients as appropriate
• a) Facilitates the development, implementation and maintenance of treatment guidelines,
collaborative practice agreements, protocols, standing orders, policies and procedures, and workflows
to optimize patient outcomes as appropriate
• Maintains knowledge of current trends and development within healthcare and pharmaceutical
therapies and pharmacy services. Reads and evaluates medical, pharmaceutical, and other literature
to determine its scientific merit and applicability to the organization and pharmacy. Utilizes
appropriate information resources to respond to various inquiries and information requests and
resolve problems. Facilitates clinical consultation and clarification to medical staff and practitioners as
• Leads, recruits, develops, mentors, and retains a talented team committed to accomplishing the
goals and objectives of Billings Clinic. Recommends, implements, and evaluates plans and systems that
assure sufficient number of qualified and competent staff to provide pharmacy services. Adheres to
administrative policies and procedures relating to human resource management. Assists management
with personnel, may include but not limited to:
• a) Maintains all required employee information in departmental files
• b) Conducts periodic and annual employee performance evaluations
• c) Processes employee payroll and completes staffing schedule
• d) Conducts coaching/counseling, disciplinary and improvement plans with employees
• Develops and implements orientation and educational programs for pharmacy service area.
Develops, maintains, and assesses a standardized process for conducting training, education, and
competency. Competency assignments, at a minimum, should cover basic pharmacy processes,
policies, and protocols, as well as regulatory-required topics.
• a) Provide instruction for new policies, processes, and protocols.
• b) Conduct regular needs assessment of staff
• c) Conduct regular staff rounding and check-in points
• Coordinates education within pharmacy service area as appropriate for pharmacy learners.. Works
closely with Pharmacy Leadership, Pharmacy staff, and others throughout the organization to ensure a
positive learning environment.
• a) Work with preceptors to provide learners with appropriate and adequate instruction, supervision,
• b) Utilize feedback from students, preceptors, and schools of pharmacy to continually improve the
• Demonstrates and encourages an ethic of open communication and teamwork throughout the
organization. Builds an environment of shared commitment to Billings Clinic’s goals and responsibility
to achieve quality outcomes.
• Knowledgeable and competent in certain pharmacy duties to assist in pharmacy service staffing.
• Works with team(s) to meet regulatory and/or accreditation standards for pharmacy service area.
Implements corrective action plans as needed.
• Performs other duties as assigned or needed to meet the needs of the department/organization. In
the absence of the Manager , may be required to assume the essential duties and responsibilities of
• Licensed pharmacist with:
• a) Three years of applicable clinical pharmacy experience OR
• b) Completion of an accredited PGY1 pharmacy residency program
• And one of the following:
• a) A Board of Pharmaceutical Specialties (BPS) certification applicable to practice area OR applicable
higher levels of training/certification OR
• b) Completion of an accredited PGY2 specialized pharmacy residency, OR
• c) Additional years of applicable clinical pharmacy experience based on discretion of hiring manager
• REQUIREMENTS UPON HIRE (if not already met as a minimum requirement):
• Obtain current unrestricted Montana Pharmacist License prior to start date, other states as required
• Greater than 5 years of relevant pharmacy experience
• Previous work experience as a pharmacy lead/supervisor/manager
• Licensed as a preceptor
• Board of Pharmaceutical Specialties (BPS) certification applicable to practice area upon hire
• Clinical Pharmacist Practitioner (CPP) upon hire, as appropriate
• Previous Leadership experience and/or experience leading teams in facility-wide projects
• Or an equivalent combination of education and experience relating to the above tasks, knowledge,
skills, and abilities will be considered
Billings Clinic is Montana’s largest health system serving Montana, Wyoming and the western Dakotas. A not-for-profit organization led by a physician CEO, the health system is governed by a board of community members, nurses and physicians. Billings Clinic includes an integrated multi-specialty group practice, tertiary care hospital and trauma center, based in Billings, Montana. Learn more atwww.billingsclinic.com/aboutus (https://www.billingsclinic.com/about-us/)
Billings Clinic is committed to the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity. All policies and processes are designed toward achieving fair and equitable treatment of all employees and job applicants. Employees are encouraged to discuss any concerns they have in this regard with their immediate supervisor and/or the Vice President People Resources. All employees and job applicants will be provided the same treatment in all aspects of the employment relationship, regardless of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, genetic information or disability.