Billings Clinic Attorney in Billings, Montana
You’ll want to join Billings Clinic for our outstanding quality of care, exciting environment, interesting cases from a vast geography, advanced technology and educational opportunities. We are in the top 1% of hospitals internationally for receiving Magnet® Recognition consecutively since 2006.
And you’ll want to stay at Billings Clinic for the amazing teamwork, caring atmosphere, and a culture that values kindness, safety and courage. This is an incredible place to learn and grow. Billings, Montana, is a friendly, college community in the Rocky Mountains with great schools and abundant family activities. Amazing outdoor recreation is just minutes from home. Four seasons of sunshine!
You can make a difference here.
Billings Clinic is a community-owned, not-for-profit, Physician-led health system based in Billings with more than 4,700 employees, including over 550 physicians and non-physician providers. Our integrated organization consists of a multi-specialty group practice and a 304-bed hospital.Learn more (https://www.billingsclinic.com/about-us/) about Billings Clinic (our organization, history, mission, leadership and regional locations) and how we are recognized nationally for our exceptional quality.
We provide a comprehensive and competitive benefits package to all full-time employees (minimum of 24 hours/week), including Medical, Dental, Vision, 403(b) Retirement Plan with employer matching, Defined Contribution Pension Plan, Paid Time Off, employee wellness program, and much more.Click here (https://www.billingsclinic.com/careers/employee-benefits/) for more information ordownload the 2021 Employee Benefits Guide (https://ncstoragemlbillings.blob.core.windows.net/public/2021%20Billings%20Clinic%20Staff%20Benefits%20Guide.pdf) .
Magnet: Commitment to Nursing Excellence
Billings Clinic is proud to be recognized for nursing excellence as a Magnet®-designated organization, joining only 97 other organizations worldwide that have achieved this honor four times. The re-designation process happens every four years. Click here (https://www.billingsclinic.com/campaign-landing-pages/magnet/) to learn more!
LEGAL (Billings Clinic Main Campus)
Employment Status: Full-Time (.75 or greater)
Hours per Pay Period: 1.00 = 80 hours (Exempt)
Starting Wage DOE
Completes multiple projects involving complex legal issues, including contract drafting and negotiation, working with operational divisions of Billings Clinic to provide support on legal issues, assistance in managing outside counsel as directed; advise on litigation. Responds to requests for legal, strategic, or legislative advice or assistance on matters regarding all facets of the Billings Clinic operation.
Essential Job Functions
• Interprets and supports the mission and philosophy of Billings Clinic. Responsible for promotion of, and adherence to, the elements of Billings Clinic Code of Conduct and compliance program.
• Represents and protects the interests of Billings Clinic by providing legal counsel and guidance.
• Manages multiple projects involving complex legal issues.
• Provides training and education to Billings Clinic personnel as requested.
• Reviews contracts for legal matters concerning Billings Clinic operations. Assists with contract interpretations and/or negotiations. Covered topics may include areas governing organizational documents and policies of operations, insurance coverage, malpractice risk management, corporate compliance, legislative and/or governmental affairs, physician issues, regulatory and/or accreditation issues, health plans and/or managed care contracting, etc.
• Provides advice on subpoenas, medical records, mental health issues, patient confidentiality, HIPAA, etc.
• Works with Risk Management staff to develop and substantiate legal opinions relating to risk management issues. Assists with managing litigation and may prepare witnesses as requested.
• Provide support to Patient Financial Services Department regarding billing disputes, liens and/or collection issues. May work on administrative appeals on Medicare billing disputes.
• Provides support to the Foundation and assists with review of grants and potential legal implications of donations.
• Assists in-house legal department with physician related issues, working closely with physician leadership to provide advice regarding physician employment and other physician contracts, quality, patient care, confidentiality, policies/procedures and other legal matters of concern.
• Provides advice on governmental affairs, including development of Billings Clinic’s position on state and federal legislation and regulation.
• Provides support to Medical Staff Office on issues relating to by-laws, privileging and credentialing.
• Assists with policy development and/or revisions as needed and appropriate.
• Participates on committees, as requested (e.g., Ethics and Patient Safety/Risk Management committees).
• Works with in-house legal department to manage outside counsel.
• Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with and/or participates in professional organizations/associations as appropriate to job scope and needs. Incumbent is encouraged to attend professional meetings, write for publications, participate at a leadership level within professional associations, etc. (E.g., Montana State Bar Association, AHLA and ABA.)
• Coordinates special projects at the request of senior in-house attorneys as needed to meet the needs of the organization.
• Performs other duties as assigned or needed to meet the needs of the department/organization.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Laws, regulations, practices and methods regarding federal and state law
• Law and regulations specific to tax exempt health care organizations
• Billings Clinic policy and procedures, both organizational and departmental
• Personal computers, hardware and software
• Billings Clinic Code of Conduct and Compliance Program
• HIPAA and confidentiality requirements
• Patient’s rights
• Customer service techniques and Personal Service Excellence (PSE) skills
• State, federal, regulatory and accreditation standards governing health care facilities and as it relates to the scope of services/programs provided within Billings Clinic
• Health care environments and trends and potential legal implications
• Knowledge of legal processes and operations, preferably in the health care environment
• Negotiating and contracting
• Professional communication skills, both verbal and written
• Legal writing skills sufficient to develop legal documents, reports, policies, memoranda and other internal and external communications
• Knowledge of developing trends in health care law and/or potential legal concerns
• Providing accurate, credible legal counsel and advice
• Establish and maintain collaborative relationships with diverse groups of people, professional organizations/affiliations, etc.
• Prioritize multiple tasks, competing priorities, and focus on results in a complex organization operating in a competitive environment
• Maintain privilege confidentiality
• Incumbent must obtain and maintain a valid, unsuspended license to practice law and follow the professional and ethical standards applied to the Montana bar
• Incumbent provides legal advice and expertise on a broad range of legal topics, including regulatory and accreditation requirements, regarding Billings Clinic operations
• Position works closely with all levels within the organization to include CEO, VP’s, Executive Directors, Chief of Staff, physicians, other Billings Clinic Leadership and staff
• Position is expected to be actively involved in professional organizations relating to the above duties
• Decisions regarding human resource management may have legal implications
• Decisions regarding budgeting, fiscal control and program development impact the financial viability of Billings Clinic
• Law degree from an accredited law school
• Three to Five (3 - 5) years legal experience
Certifications and Licenses
• Current valid and unsuspended license to practice law (licensure or ability to become licensed in the State of Montana) at hire
Billings Clinic is Montana’s largest health system serving Montana, Wyoming and the western Dakotas. A not-for-profit organization led by a physician CEO, the health system is governed by a board of community members, nurses and physicians. Billings Clinic includes an integrated multi-specialty group practice, tertiary care hospital and trauma center, based in Billings, Montana. Learn more atwww.billingsclinic.com/aboutus (https://www.billingsclinic.com/about-us/)
Billings Clinic is committed to the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity. All policies and processes are designed toward achieving fair and equitable treatment of all employees and job applicants. Employees are encouraged to discuss any concerns they have in this regard with their immediate supervisor and/or the Vice President People Resources. All employees and job applicants will be provided the same treatment in all aspects of the employment relationship, regardless of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, genetic information or disability.