Billings Clinic Computed Tomography I FT in Billings, Montana
Computed Tomography I FT
Evening, Nights, Weekend
Full-Time (.75 or greater)
F-M 7am to 5:30pm
1.00 = 80 hours
The incumbent in this position is responsible for performing diagnostic imaging services in the specialty of Computed Tomography. The technologist is responsible for the safe operation of a variety of equipment to produce images of the patient’s body for diagnostic purposes. The technologist is responsible for providing exposure in the modality of Computed Tomography to the Radiologic Technologist program students and may provide instruction to interns. Interviews patients, explains procedures, performs venipuncture and assists in positioning the patient for procedures. Reviews test results with radiologists/referring physicians.ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Essential Job Functions
• Supports and models behaviors consistent with the mission and philosophy of Billings Clinic and department/service.
• Calibrates equipment and reviews general maintenance needs.
• Performs clinical assessment and computed tomography exams as ordered by the physician. Interviews patient, explains examination procedures and process and assists in positioning patient for procedures.
• Reviews patient history and previous scans (if applicable) with the radiologists.
• Uses cognitive CT skills to identify, record and adapt procedures as appropriate to anatomical, pathological, diagnostic information and images. Coordinates with other staff to ensure appropriate patient care is provided. Performs CT scans entering data such as type of scan requested, slice thickness, scan time, other technical data.
• Analyzes exams, synthesizes CT information, medical history, and utilizes independent judgment during the CT exam to accurately differentiate between normal and pathologic findings. Prepares preliminary reports and checklist for the radiologist. Reviews exam with the radiologist when appropriate. Communicates with attending and/or referring physicians as appropriate.
• Maintains CT scan records and patient records in accordance with Billings Clinic policies, procedures and standards.
• Assists physicians with cyst aspirations, biopsies and abscess drainages.
• Coordinates scheduling, transportation and scanning of patients.
• Maintains competency in all organizational, departmental and outside agency environmental, employee or patient safety standards relevant to job performance. Complies with general training required by Billings Clinic as well as specific training requirements of the position.
• Performs other duties as assigned or needed to meet the needs of the department/organization.
Essential Functions Disclaimer
Supports and models behaviors consistent with Billings Clinic’s mission, vision, values, code of business conduct and service expectations. Meets all mandatory organizational and departmental requirements. Maintains competency in all organizational, departmental and outside agency standards as it relates to the environment, employee, patient safety or job performance.
Performs all other duties as assigned or as needed to meet the needs of the department/organization.
Department or Level Specific Duties and Responsibilities
• Minimum Qualifications
Graduate of a recognized approved American Medical Association Council of Education program in Radiological Technology
Registered with the ARRT (R) within six (6) months of employment
Fundamental understanding of general Diagnostic Radiology
Current Montana License
Current Health Care Provider CPR Certification
No prior experience required
Provides coverage evenings, nights, weekends and holidays and is subject to fluctuating shifts on short notice including emergency on-call coverage as needed.
• Cross-Training on Information/ SPECIFIC Systems
• Analytical Skills
Analytical skills necessary to understand and resolve routine operating problems within scope of licensure
Analytical skills to assist physicians with procedures and anticipate their needs
• Independent Judgement
Work is performed independently with minimal supervision in accordance with established regulatory requirements, policies and procedures and general directives
Able to work under supervision of Level II Computed Tomograhy Technologist
Must exercise good independent judgment based on the patient’s acuity level and care requirements
Assumes responsibility for initiating follow-up to prevent and/or resolve problem scenarios and coordinates with the appropriate department and/or person
Expected to prioritize all aspects of job
• Interpersonal Skills
Interpersonal skills which enable the incumbent to appropriately respond to a variety of patient/family requests and inquiries, to respond to inquiries from physicians, nursing staff and other health care providers and to check for understanding, allay apprehension and enlist the cooperation of the patient
Ability to deal with difficult situations in a mature and professional manner
• Service Recovery
• Project Management
• Supervision of Others
Acts as a resource to student technologists
• Process Improvement / Quality Assurance /Risk Management
• Fiscal Responsibility
• On-Call Responsibility
Willing to participate in on-call rotations
• Technical Skills
• Study Assignments
• On-call Responsibility
• Information Systems
• Project Management /Requirements gathering and analysis Skills
• Organizational Skills
• Community/Patient Education
• Professional Affiliations
• Overall Performance
• Patient Care
• USP-797 Media Fill Testing, Environmental Sampling & End Product Testing Requirements
• Promotional Guidelines
• Essential Functions
• Service/Sales Time Allocations
• Pay Plan Components
• Specimen Examination and Submission Authorization
• Research or Process Improvement, Committee or Council Participation
KNOWLEDGE OF / SKILLS / ABILITIES / COMPLEXITIES AND DIFFICULTIES
Billings Clinic policy and procedures, both organizational and departmental
Personal computers, hardware and software
Billings Clinic Code of Conduct
Billings Clinic’s Compliance and Integrity Program
HIPAA and confidentiality requirements
Customer service techniques and Personal Service Excellence (PSE)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Billings Clinic policy and procedures, both organizational and departmental
• Billings Clinic Code of Business Conduct
• Billings Clinic Corporate Compliance Program
• Personal computers, hardware and software
• Various computer systems relating to Computed Tomography
• HIPAA and confidentiality requirements
• Patient/resident rights
• Regulatory requirements and standards governing CT services
• Principles, practices and techniques of CT, including guidelines for age appropriate care
• Infection control procedures
• Hazcom and safety criteria
• Customer service techniques and Personal Service Excellence (PSE) skills
• National Patient Safety Goals
• Professional communication skills, both verbal and written
• Performing complex algebraic calculations for equipment settings, medication administration, etc.
• Manual dexterity for operating technical equipment and administering IV’s.
• Incorporate population specific needs into all aspects of communication and patient care; scope of services provided will encompass age groups ranging from infant to geriatric
• Transport and/or lift patients
• Function independently at a high level of competency with little supervision
• Cross train to work into different special imaging modalities: i.e. MRI
• Perform calculations
• Explain the procedure to the patient and review cases with the radiologist, and/or referring physicians
• Establish and maintain collaborative relationships
• Work effectively in a team environment
• Respond calmly and professionally in an emergent or difficult situation
• Maintain flexibility to adapt to a variety of workload assignments
• May be expected to rotate to several different imaging suites during a shift
• Exposure to unpleasant odors from soiled linen or human waste and contact with patients exhibiting possible infectious diseases. Universal precautions are mandatory when working with all patients.
• Possibility of exposure to ionizing radiation or contact with corrosive darkroom chemicals.
• Adherence to safety and protection standards dramatically reduce the chance of accident.
• Errors in calibrating equipment and performing procedures could result in poor quality test results which could negatively impact the quality of patient care.
Certification Title Required
At hire Registered with the American Registry of Radiological Technologists
At hire Health care provider CPR certification
At hire Current Montana license
Billings Clinic is a community-owned, not-for-profit health care organization in Billings, Montana with approximately 4,000 employees, including over 400 physicians and advanced practitioners. Our integrated organization consists of a multi-specialty group practice and a 304-bed hospital. Learn more about Billings Clinic (https://www.billingsclinic.com/about-us/) (our organization, history, mission, leadership and regional locations) and how we are recognized nationally for our exceptional quality (https://www.billingsclinic.com/quality-safety/) .
Billings Clinic is committed to the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity. All policies and processes are designed toward achieving fair and equitable treatment of all employees and job applicants. Employees are encouraged to discuss any concerns they have in this regard with their immediate supervisor and/or the Vice President People Resources. All employees and job applicants will be provided the same treatment in all aspects of the employment relationship, regardless of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, genetic information or disability.