Billings Clinic Director of Health Information Management in Billings, Montana
You’ll want to join Billings Clinic for our outstanding quality of care, exciting environment, interesting cases from a vast geography, advanced technology and educational opportunities. We are in the top 1% of hospitals internationally for receiving Magnet® Recognition consecutively since 2006.
And you’ll want to stay at Billings Clinic for the amazing teamwork, caring atmosphere, and a culture that values kindness, safety and courage. This is an incredible place to learn and grow. Billings, Montana, is a friendly, college community in the Rocky Mountains with great schools and abundant family activities. Amazing outdoor recreation is just minutes from home. Four seasons of sunshine!
You can make a difference here.
Billings Clinic is a community-owned, not-for-profit, Physician-led health system based in Billings with more than 4,700 employees, including over 550 physicians and non-physician providers. Our integrated organization consists of a multi-specialty group practice and a 304-bed hospital.Learn more (https://www.billingsclinic.com/about-us/) about Billings Clinic (our organization, history, mission, leadership and regional locations) and how we are recognized nationally for our exceptional quality.
We provide a comprehensive and competitive benefits package to all full-time employees (minimum of 24 hours/week), including Medical, Dental, Vision, 403(b) Retirement Plan with employer matching, Defined Contribution Pension Plan, Paid Time Off, employee wellness program, and much more.Click here (https://www.billingsclinic.com/careers/employee-benefits/) for more information ordownload the 2021 Employee Benefits Guide (https://ncstoragemlbillings.blob.core.windows.net/public/2021%20Billings%20Clinic%20Staff%20Benefits%20Guide.pdf) .
Magnet: Commitment to Nursing Excellence
Billings Clinic is proud to be recognized for nursing excellence as a Magnet®-designated organization, joining only 97 other organizations worldwide that have achieved this honor four times. The re-designation process happens every four years. Click here (https://www.billingsclinic.com/campaign-landing-pages/magnet/) to learn more!
Director of Health Information Management
HEALTH INFO MGMT (HIM) - HOSP (Billings Clinic Main Campus)
Employment Status: Full-Time (.75 or greater)
Hours per Pay Period: 1.00 = 80 hours (Exempt)
Starting Wage DOE
The Director of HIM will work closely with the Chief Financial Officer to develop strategies benefiting the overall financial objectives of the organization. Responsible to provide the leadership and direction for all aspects of health information management services for all areas of the organization to include hospital, physician specialty clinics, surgery center, emergency department, long term care facility including all elements of compliance, confidentiality and security of both paper and electronic health records, transcription and voice recognition services, and coding resources and to ensure continuity and consistency across and throughout the organization. Ensures the delivery of quality, cost-effective HIM management services in line with the Billings Clinic mission, vision, values, and goals. Accountabilities include program/business development, quality of services, short and long range planning directly related to the health information management and the revenue cycle, to achieve goals and objectives, fiscal control and responsibility to manage costs, physician and interdepartmental and intradepartmental relations, and personnel management.
Essential Job Functions
• Develops and oversees all aspects of health information to ensure adherence to organizational mission, vision, values, strategic goals, and business objectives. Interprets and supports the mission and philosophy of Billings Clinic. Responsible for the promotion of, and adherence to, the elements of Billings Clinic’s Code of Business Conduct and corporate compliance program as it relates to the revenue cycle and health information management.
• In collaboration with Senior Leadership, physician leadership, other medical staff, and other health care providers, leads, develops, and revises programs which enhance coding performance, documentation and multi-faceted educational needs and supports the revenue cycle and financial objectives of the organization. Decisions specify the departmental priorities to be accomplished by the Manager and/or Supervisors and how resources will be allocated. Acts as a recognized area expert within Billings Clinic and to other health care providers.
• Leads Health Information Management Department in the overall development strategy and model to support client operations, and service priorities that support a quality-focused environment and the financial objectives of the organization and revenue cycle. Coordinates with Senior Leadership and physicians to assure continuity in pursuing HIM and revenue cycle goals and synergy in implementing plans and problem resolution.
• Responsible for leading and managing HIM staff in all aspects of confidentiality and security of all paper and electronic medical records, chart assembly, chart completion, chart filing/retrieval, chart release, coding, transcription/voice recognition services.
• Manages HIM operations including record retention, deficiency tracking, and core measure data capture and reporting, and achieving and sustaining excellent productivity and accuracy.
• Provides ongoing multi-faceted education and training to HIM and medical staff and ensures industry best practices.
• Responsible for ensuring compliance with CMS, other regulatory/accreditation agency guidelines. Prepares and executes surveys and compliance & RAC audits under these standards as it relates to HIM.
• Responsible for overall data accuracy including quality scores, coding productivity and all associated HIM performance metrics. • Manages and governs supplier contracts as applicable including, but not limited to transcription/voice recognition services, registries, release of information, etc.
• Manages all aspects of change management as it relates to HIM/Coding operational processes and driving performance metrics
• Develop, coordinate and manage implementation of policies and procedures that improve and support the revenue cycle, organizational goals, and timely completion and accurate transcription/voice recognition and coding business objectives.
• Oversees Managers, Supervisors, and other direct reports with preparation of business budgets, staffing, objectives, standards, and staff education programs.
• Manages supplier contracts and performance to ensure adherence to quality and performance metrics and to ensure costs are maintained within agreed upon budgetary standards.
• Ongoing accountability for the continuous assessment improvement, and coordination of the HIM and coding services. • Maintains competency in all organizational, departmental, and outside agency safety standards relevant to job performance for areas of HIM and ensures staff compliance.
• Responsible for HIM operations involving continuous evaluation and reengineering of applicable processes and organizational design and standardization based on current and future needs
• Develops, retains, recruits, and leads a talented management team committed to accomplishing the organizational and HIM goals, objectives and corporate compliance. Recommends, implements, and evaluates plans and systems that assure sufficient number of qualified and competent staff to provide services. Adheres to administrative policy/procedures relating to human resource management.
• Build and manage a large team to support on-site client HIM, transcription/voice recognition and coding services
• Pursues professional growth and development keeping abreast of the latest trends in the HIM field. Shares ongoing multi-faceted education with employees and providers. Ensures continued educational offerings are deployed to staff to support maintenance of professional certifications and knowledge of new and emerging trend/developments.
• Demonstrates and encourages an ethic of open communication and teamwork throughout the organization. Builds an environment of shared commitment to Billings Clinic’s goals and responsibility to achieve quality outcomes.
• Leads evaluation, selection, and integration of health care technology and information management systems within HIM that supports quality of care/financial needs and the efficient use of resources.
• Responsible to ensure adherence to EHR requirements/standards to meet and maintain meaningful use criteria and certified electronic health record standards as established by Medicare and Medicaid Programs. Provides consultation services to regional affiliates on these and other related regulatory, accreditation, and/or legal requirements.
• Provides consultation services to regional affiliates as it relates to the HIM for transcription, dictation, coding, ROI, and assessments.
• Collaborates with the Information Services Regional Team regarding deployment of HIM & EMR products to regional affiliate sites.
• Responsible for ensuring adherence to meaningful use criteria for qualified electronic health record. Ensures programs are certified in accordance with the certification criteria established by ONC. Responsible for all related knowledge/education, tracking, auditing and reporting around meaningful use requirements.
• Responsible to ensure healthcare goals for meaningful use of electronic health record technology is to:
• Improve quality, safety and efficiency of patient care
• Engage patients and families
• Improve care coordination
• Ensure adequate privacy and security for personal health information
• Improve population and public health
• Performs other duties as assigned or as needed to meet the needs of the organization.
• 4 Year Bachelor's Degree in a related field
• 6 Years of Leadership experience
Certifications and Licenses
• Registered Health Information Administrator preferred
• Registered Health Information Technician required
Billings Clinic is Montana’s largest health system serving Montana, Wyoming and the western Dakotas. A not-for-profit organization led by a physician CEO, the health system is governed by a board of community members, nurses and physicians. Billings Clinic includes an integrated multi-specialty group practice, tertiary care hospital and trauma center, based in Billings, Montana. Learn more atwww.billingsclinic.com/aboutus (https://www.billingsclinic.com/about-us/)
Billings Clinic is committed to the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity. All policies and processes are designed toward achieving fair and equitable treatment of all employees and job applicants. Employees are encouraged to discuss any concerns they have in this regard with their immediate supervisor and/or the Vice President People Resources. All employees and job applicants will be provided the same treatment in all aspects of the employment relationship, regardless of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, genetic information or disability.