Billings Clinic HIM Coder I - Central Billing Office in Billings, Montana
You’ll want to join Billings Clinic for our outstanding quality of care, exciting environment, interesting cases from a vast geography, advanced technology and educational opportunities. We are in the top 1% of hospitals internationally for receiving Magnet® Recognition consecutively since 2006.
And you’ll want to stay at Billings Clinic for the amazing teamwork, caring atmosphere, and a culture that values kindness, safety and courage. This is an incredible place to learn and grow. Billings, Montana, is a friendly, college community in the Rocky Mountains with great schools and abundant family activities. Amazing outdoor recreation is just minutes from home. Four seasons of sunshine!
You can make a difference here.
Billings Clinic is a community-owned, not-for-profit, Physician-led health system based in Billings with more than 4,700 employees, including over 550 physicians and non-physician providers. Our integrated organization consists of a multi-specialty group practice and a 304-bed hospital.Learn more (https://www.billingsclinic.com/about-us/) about Billings Clinic (our organization, history, mission, leadership and regional locations) and how we are recognized nationally for our exceptional quality.
We provide a comprehensive and competitive benefits package to all permanent full-time employees (minimum of 24 hours/week), including Medical, Dental, Vision, 403(b) Retirement Plan with employer matching, Defined Contribution Pension Plan, Paid Time Off, employee wellness program, and much more.Click here (https://www.billingsclinic.com/careers/employee-benefits/) for more information ordownload the Employee Benefits Guide (https://ncstoragemlbillings.blob.core.windows.net/public/2021%20Billings%20Clinic%20Staff%20Benefits%20Guide.pdf) .
Magnet: Commitment to Nursing Excellence
Billings Clinic is proud to be recognized for nursing excellence as a Magnet®-designated organization, joining only 97 other organizations worldwide that have achieved this honor four times. The re-designation process happens every four years. Click here (https://www.billingsclinic.com/campaign-landing-pages/magnet/) to learn more!
All new employees must complete several pre-employment requirements prior to starting. Click here (https://billingsclinic.csod.com/ats/careersite/search.aspx?site=15&c=billingsclinic) to learn more!
HIM Coder I - Central Billing Office
CENTRAL BILLING OFFICE - 8861 (Billings Clinic Main Campus)
Employment Status: Full-Time (.75 or greater)
Hours per Pay Period: 1.00 = 80 hours (Non-Exempt)
Starting Wage DOE:$18.25 - $28.73
Depending on experience, education and certification, this position may qualify for Level I-III HIM Coder
This position is eligible for full-time remote and/or telework if located in Montana, Wyoming, Hawaii, Kansas, Minnesota, Michigan, Arizona, or Texas.
This position may be eligible for a sign-on bonus, tuition loan repayment and relocation assistance
HIM Coders are responsible for coding and abstracting diagnoses and procedures from patient charts using ICD-CM, ICD PCS and/or CPT-4/HCPCS codes for statistical and reimbursement purposes for all Billings Clinic inpatient and outpatient services. Alternatively, since Billings Clinic is an integrated delivery system, responsible for auditing or assigning CPT and E&M codes to clinic encounters by reading dictation, reviewing problem lists and intake forms, capturing primary and secondary ICD-CM diagnoses, adding HCPCS modifiers where necessary and verifying units of service for pharmacy items and supplies. Queries physicians to clarify clinical documentation. Educates physicians either concurrently or after-the-fact on coding and documentation and serves as an on-site resource for providers and staff. Calculates the MSDRG and APR- DRG. Ensures adherence to all Billings Clinic and regulatory compliance policies and procedures governing medical records coding, billing and reimbursement.
Essential Job Functions
• Maintains a detailed knowledge of and ensures adherence to all applicable Billings Clinic and regulatory compliance policies/procedures governing medical record coding, insurance billing and reimbursement methodologies in all aspects of the job. Actively seeks out clarification and/or updated information to ensure most current guidelines are followed.
• Review of medical records for documentation to identify the principal diagnosis and/or procedure and all applicable secondary diagnosis and procedures
• Assigning the appropriate ICD-CM, ICD-PCS and/or CPT-4/HCPCS codes for each encounter utilizing ICD-9 and CPT-4 books.
• Utilizing the computerized encoding system and/or coding books to facilitate accurate coding and sequencing of diagnosis and procedures by following all regulatory compliance policies and procedures governing medical records coding, billing and reimbursement.
• Calculating a DRG or APC for each inpatient visit/encounter and/or physician visits/services coding to appropriately and legitimately and ethically optimize the payment based on approved coding guidelines and standards
• Assigns POA for inpatient facility coding.
• Captures any missing charges.
• Maintains or exceeds 95% coding accuracy based on audit findings.
• Maintains or exceeds department productivity standards for assigned areas of coding.
• Identifies and reports any regulatory or compliance concerns to Manager, Director and/or Billings Clinic Corporate Compliance Department.
• Ensures accuracy of data prior to billing interface and claims submission. (i.e. discharge disposition, appropriate use of modifiers, CPT,ICD, preforming provider, date of service, POA, NCCI and other coding edits, etc. )
• Collects data from the medical record to complete a discharge data abstract on each encounter for specialized studies.
• Communicates with physicians/Non-Physician Providers to provide coding and documentation education and feedback.
• Identifies needs and sets goals for own growth and development; meets all mandatory organizational and departmental requirements. Maintains knowledge of current information and technologies for coding and abstracting arena.
• Maintains competency in all organizational, departmental and outside agency environmental, employee or patient safety standards relevant to job performance.
• High school graduate or equivalent
• One (1) year of health care or Billings Clinic experience preferred
• 1 year of coding within a hospital working with outpatient diagnostics, emergency room visits and outpatient surgery. May perform some inpatient coding.
• Anatomy and medical terminology
Certifications and Licenses
• Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) or Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA), Certified Professional Coder (CPC) or Certified Coding Specialist (CCS), or other AHIMA and/or AAPC recognized coding credentials, preferred or an equivalent combination of education and experience relating to the above knowledge, skills and abilities will be considered and will be required to become certified within twelve (12) months of employment
Billings Clinic is Montana’s largest health system serving Montana, Wyoming and the western Dakotas. A not-for-profit organization led by a physician CEO, the health system is governed by a board of community members, nurses and physicians. Billings Clinic includes an integrated multi-specialty group practice, tertiary care hospital and trauma center, based in Billings, Montana. Learn more atwww.billingsclinic.com/aboutus (https://www.billingsclinic.com/about-us/)
Billings Clinic is committed to the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity. All policies and processes are designed toward achieving fair and equitable treatment of all employees and job applicants. Employees are encouraged to discuss any concerns they have in this regard with their immediate supervisor and/or the Vice President People Resources. All employees and job applicants will be provided the same treatment in all aspects of the employment relationship, regardless of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, genetic information or disability.