Billings Clinic Patient Access Specialist - Neurosurgery in Billings, Montana
Patient Access Specialists are instrumental in ensuring the efficient and effective flow of patient access needs as well as initiating the revenue cycle throughout Billings Clinic. Responsible for providing excellence in customer service by greeting, registering, and gathering appropriate information for clinical, patient financial services, regulatory and meaningful use. Included are appropriate demographic and insurance information, scheduling appointments, collection of co-payments and self-pay deposits and posting payments into the billing system. Position must fully understand the ramifications and impacts of incomplete or inaccurate information as it relates to clinical staff and the revenue cycle.
Essential Job Functions
• Supports and models behaviors consistent with Billings Clinic's mission, vision, values, code of business conduct and service expectations. Meets all mandatory organizational and departmental requirements. Maintains competency in all organizational, departmental and outside agency standards as it relates to the environment, employee, patient safety or job performance.
• Responsible for patients' and guests first impressions of Billings Clinic and clinical departments. Using best practices in customer service by greeting patients, identifying and entering accurate patient specific information to include demographics, guarantor information, subscriber and insurance information. Responsible for initiating the revenue cycle for timely billing and possible insurance follow up.
• Competently and courteously educates patients about various forms that may require their signature. Forms may include but not be limited to the following: Conditions of Servic e COS, Notice to Medicare Beneficiaries on Provider Based literature, Notice of Privacy Practices NOPP, Patients' Rights, Minor Consent, Notice of Plan Limitations, Medicaid Passport Notification of Responsibility, Motor Vehicle Accident patient screening, My Billings Clinic, Workers Compensation, System Downtime
• Validates insurance(s) using IntelliSource and analyzes electronic responses ensuring appropriate set-ups, which may be dependent upon State where services are to be rendered.
• Coordinates with patients, internal and external providers, nursing staff to ensure Medicaid Passport authorizations are obtained and entered.
• Schedules and coordinates appointments in a manner that meets the patient's needs and each individual provider's scheduling protocols for the various appointment types, lengths of appointments and any pre-appointment requirements. May instruct patients on specific preparations and/or restrictions necessary to prepare fo r ancillary procedures as defined by clinical protocols.
• Provides in-person marketing for Billings Clinic's patient portal. Explains functionality of the portal and sends electronic invitations to patients for access and establishment of their connection. Should understand that portal sign-up and usage is directly tied to Billings Clinic's ability to receive additional Government funding.
• Initiates collection of copayments and deposits in accordance with each patient's individual insurance or self-pay requirements. Accepts cash, checks and credit cards and payroll deductions. Accepts payments on accounts. Maintains operating cash and collections and balancing to on-line records, daily.
• Posts all payments directly onto patients' accounts within the revenue cycle system. Ensures payment to Billings Clinic for credit and debit card transactions by obtaining electronic authorizations at the time of payment collection.
• May schedule anci llary services. May instruct patients on specific preparations and/or restrictions necessary to prepare for ancillary procedures. May involve other departments as needed for regulatory requirements.
• Reviews and analyzes AccuReg edits and completes corrections in accordance with AccuReg worklists daily.
• Performs other duties as assigned or needed to meet the needs of the department/organization.