Billings Clinic Patient Flow Specialist (Per Diem) in Billings, Montana
You can make a difference as a part of our region's largest health care system, based locally in Billings, Montana. Join our amazing team with a focus on safe, high quality care and an excellent patient experience. Billings Clinic is here to take care of our community and region.
We look forward to meeting you.
Billings Clinic is a community-owned, not-for-profit, Physician-led health system based in Billings with more than 4,700 employees, including over 550 physicians and non-physician providers. Our integrated organization consists of a multi-specialty group practice and a 304-bed hospital.Learn more (https://www.billingsclinic.com/about-us/) about Billings Clinic (our organization, history, mission, leadership and regional locations) and how we are recognized nationally for our exceptional quality.
We provide a comprehensive and competitive benefits package to all full-time employees (minimum of 24 hours/week), including Medical, Dental, Vision, 403(b) Retirement Plan with employer matching, Defined Contribution Pension Plan, Paid Time Off, employee wellness program, and much more.Click here (https://www.billingsclinic.com/careers/employee-benefits/) for more information ordownload the 2021 Employee Benefits Guide (https://ncstoragemlbillings.blob.core.windows.net/public/2021%20Billings%20Clinic%20Staff%20Benefits%20Guide.pdf) .
Patient Flow Specialist (Per Diem)
PATIENT FLOW CENTER (Billings Clinic Main Campus)
Shift: Day, Evenings, Nights, Weekends
Employment Status: Per Diem
Hours per Pay Period: 0.01 = per diem(Non-Exempt)
Starting Wage DOE: 13.71 - 16.73 + per diem differential
The Patient Flow Specialist will perform both
staffing and patient placement duties. The Patient Placement duties include:
providing support and assistance to the RN Administrator on Duty (AOD) for
patient placement and bed management activities, coordinating with all areas of
the hospital. Ensures all admissions (elective and emergent), transfers and
discharges are in accordance with Billings Clinic’s clinical standards and
guidelines. Proactively works to ensure that patients are assigned to
appropriate patient care units and facilitates patient throughput while
ensuring patient safety and quality standards are adhered to. Communicates
census updates and status reports to Senior Leadership and AOD for bed capacity
management on a daily basis. Assists AOD with facility transfer requests.
Utilizes Microsoft Excel and other computer systems to maintain census and patient
placement information. The Patient Flow Specialist is responsible to coordinate
the daily staffing needs within the Patient Services Division and
arranges/maintains staffing for all hospital nursing units at appropriate
levels. Maintains a collaborative relationship with all departments to enhance
smooth functioning of the individual department and organization as a whole.
• Supports and models behaviors consistent with the
mission and philosophy of Billings Clinic and department/service.
• Coordinates the admission, discharge and transfer
• Evaluates bed availability proactively through use
of bed board information and monitoring real time census information.
• Supports the multiple tasks of coordinating bed
assignments to meet patient needs, reduce internal transfers, and reduce
barriers to unnecessary delays.
• Works with RN AOD to resolve and eliminate
barriers to the placement of patients.
• Creates patient encounters in Cerner when a
patient visit occurs (Patient Service, Patient Flow, Admission, Discharge &
• Responsible for creation and maintenance of daily
Admit Discharge Transfer (ADT) census report.
• Responsible for processing retrospective
corrections that may be needed to accurately reflect ADT and census information.
• Prepares patient census comparisons of actual
figures to budget. Prepares and distributes reports to appropriate areas.
(Patient Service, Patient Flow, ADT Report)
• Manages the electronic staffing information
system, including the day to day staff changes for all hospital inpatient
units. (Patient Service, Patient Flow, Electronic Staffing System)
• Coordination of language interpreter services,
including transportation, education and documentation. (Patient Service,
Patient Flow, Language Services)
• Coordinates process for deceased patients,
including tissue/organ donation, autopsy and funeral homes as required. • Ensures proper documentation. (Patient Service, Patient Flow,
Deceased Patient Process)
• Provide notary services. (Patient Service, Patient
• Triages diverse complex situations, performing
necessary investigation and research to gather pertinent data. • Initiates action as appropriate with minimal input or
supervision. Formulates recommendations for review for situations outside the
established guidelines and/or procedures. (Patient Service, Patient Flow,
Triage Diverse Situations)
• Supports and models behaviors consistent with
Billings Clinic’s mission, vision, values, code of business conduct and service
expectations. Meets all mandatory organizational and departmental requirements.
Maintains competency in all organizational, departmental and outside agency
standards as it relates to the environment, employee, patient safety or job
• Performs all other duties as assigned or as needed to meet
the needs of the department/organization.
Skills, and Abilities
• Information management systems for clinical and financial data
(i.e., AS/400, Cerner, Optilink, etc.)
• HIPAA and confidentiality requirements
• Patient’s/resident’s rights
• Regulatory requirements and standards (Joint Commission,
OSHA, Magnet, etc.)
• Patient placement procedures and practices
• Infection control standards and guidelines
• Medical terminology
• Billings Clinic physician specialties and service offerings
• Interpersonal and professional communication skills, both
verbal and written
• Judgment, tact and diplomacy to effectively resolve
• Demonstrating positive, supportive and caring behaviors in
communication with co-workers physicians, patients, families and other health
• Attention to detail, gathering and assessing information,
problem analysis, and problem resolution skills
• Analytical and critical thinking skills needed to evaluate
problem situations in-depth and come to independent, appropriate conclusions
• Utilizing personal computers to enter and retrieve data, to
assemble and organize data, to use, analyze and integrate data from diverse
• Utilizing Microsoft Office programs (i.e., Windows,
Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.)
• Record keeping, maintaining informational databases, and
general office procedures.
• Demonstrating time management skills and ability to
• Incorporate population specific needs into all aspects of
communication and patient care; scope of services provided will encompass age
groups from infant through geriatric
• Communicate clearly and effectively, both verbal and written
• Establish and maintain collaborative relationships
• Document in clear and concise fashion with appropriate
grammar, vocabulary, and word usage
• Operate and utilize a variety of office equipment such as a
personal computer, keyboards, multi-line telephones, fax machines, calculators,
• Continuously be able to concentrate on fine details with
constant interruptions and changing priorities
• Work effectively in a team environment
• Respond calmly and professionally when dealing with
difficult or emergent situations
• Ensure policies and procedures are adhered to
• Transport the deceased and facilitate proper transfer of
body to the funeral home or coroner
• Flexible, multitasking, ability to work independently with
• Complexity & Difficulty
Acts as a resource to Billings Clinic staff across a variety
of disciplines assisting with questions and/or problem resolution
• Errors could impact the quality of patient care, patient
safety, and financial viability of the organization
• Position requires the highest degree of integrity and
confidentiality due to the sensitive nature of information handled
• Refers other identified issues/concerns surrounding
non-patient placement issues directly to the RN AOD for follow-up with unit
Director/Manager, Clinical Coordinator, or Charge Nurse for handling/resolution
• High school graduate or equivalent
• One year minimum experience at Billings Clinic
• Demonstrated excellence in customer service
• Previous experience in a healthcare related
environment required; unit clerk or CNA experience preferred
• Strong computer skills required, advanced
Excel and database experience. Experience in Cerner or Optilink preferred
• Medical terminology course to be completed
within six months of hire
• Notary certification to be obtained within six
months of hire
Billings Clinic is Montana’s largest health system serving Montana, Wyoming and the western Dakotas. A not-for-profit organization led by a physician CEO, the health system is governed by a board of community members, nurses and physicians. Billings Clinic includes an integrated multi-specialty group practice, tertiary care hospital and trauma center, based in Billings, Montana. Learn more atwww.billingsclinic.com/aboutus (https://www.billingsclinic.com/about-us/)
Billings Clinic is committed to the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity. All policies and processes are designed toward achieving fair and equitable treatment of all employees and job applicants. Employees are encouraged to discuss any concerns they have in this regard with their immediate supervisor and/or the Vice President People Resources. All employees and job applicants will be provided the same treatment in all aspects of the employment relationship, regardless of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, genetic information or disability.