Billings Clinic Quality Specialist in Billings, Montana
Full-Time (.75 or greater)
M-F, 8am-5pm or varied 10hr shifts
1.00 = 80 hours
The Quality Specialist will assume responsibility for one or more of the functional areas within Quality Resources. The functional areas include serving day-to-day as a resource to leadership and staff for such areas as disease specific care, quality measures, national collaboratives, special projects and regulatory issues, and process improvement for Billings Clinic and all branch locations.ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Essential Job Functions
• Supports and models behaviors consistent with Billings Clinic’s mission, vision, values, code of business conduct and service expectations. Meets all mandatory organizational and departmental requirements. Maintains competency in all organizational, departmental and outside agency standards as it relates to the environment, employee, patient safety or job performance.
• Supports practices and quality improvement activities through leadership and staff, utilizing the knowledge of process improvement principles and quality standards towards improved patient care and services, and patient outcomes.
• Serves as a resource for process improvement methodologies (i.e., Rapid Cycle Change - PDSA, Lean Six Sigma, FMEA, RCA) to fulfill the organization’s strategic initiatives for quality measurement, management and improvement.
• Educates and assists Billings Clinic leadership and medical staff in identifying and capitalizing upon opportunities for improvement and facilitate cross-functional team development, when appropriate.
• Identify and arrange for consulting assistance from internal or external sources as required to meet the needs of quality improvement teams, medical staff, or others requiring quality and/or process improvement consultations.
• Teaches and utilizes tools or models to aggregate data for monitoring performance. Teaches data analysis techniques to assist the organization to turn data into information that can be utilized to improve processes within the organization.
• Serves as a resource to the organization for continuous readiness for accreditation processes and compliance (i.e., TJC, CMS, NCQA, etc.)
• Serve as a resource for the data collection process related to publicly reported data with delegation as appropriate to other staff.
• Ongoing chart audits to assess compliance with various regulatory agencies, referrals for process improvements, and facilitate the needed process improvements.
• Assists in the development and communication of department specific and Billings Clinic policies and procedures.
• Participates in both short and long term planning for the department. Input into the development of the department annual budget. Supports fiscal responsibility in day to day activities.
• Identifies needs and sets goals for personal and professional growth and development; meets all mandatory organizational and departmental education requirements.
• Performs as a team facilitator and driver of change for projects as assigned.
• Functions as an internal surveyor for continuous readiness for survey by either CMS or JC.
• Performs other duties as assigned or needed to meet the needs of the department/organization.
Essential Functions Disclaimer
Supports and models behaviors consistent with Billings Clinic’s mission, vision, values, code of business conduct and service expectations. Meets all mandatory organizational and departmental requirements. Maintains competency in all organizational, departmental and outside agency standards as it relates to the environment, employee, patient safety or job performance.
Performs all other duties as assigned or as needed to meet the needs of the department/organization.
Department or Level Specific Duties and Responsibilities
KNOWLEDGE OF / SKILLS / ABILITIES / COMPLEXITIES AND DIFFICULTIES
Billings Clinic policy and procedures, both organizational and departmental
Personal computers, hardware and software
Billings Clinic Code of Conduct
Billings Clinic’s Compliance and Integrity Program
HIPAA and confidentiality requirements
Customer service techniques and Personal Service Excellence (PSE)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Microsoft Office Programs (i.e., Windows, Outlook, Word, Excel, etc.)
• HIPAA and confidentiality requirements
• Patient’s/resident’s rights
• Patient safety standards
• Quality and process improvement principles and tools
• Lean Six Sigma methodology
• TJC, NCQA, CMS, OSHA & FDA regulations
• Change management theories and principles
• Health care trends
• Health care risk management principles
• Health care information management
• Resources for required federal, state, and local laws applicable to the health care environment
• Management and leadership principles
• Other regulatory and legal healthcare changes
• Professional communication skills, both written and verbal.
• Time management, organization, detail oriented, and prioritization
• Use of performance and process improvement techniques/ LSS, FMEA, RCA
• Clinical knowledge
• Group facilitation
• Presents information to various groups in support of process improvements activities
• Basic statistics, data collection, analytical tools, accurate report writing
• Conflict resolution
• Facilitating change management
• Personal computer and information management software
• Use of microcomputer software such as Microsoft Office programs Word, Excel, and Power Point (spreadsheets, statistical analysis, and graphics)
• Incorporate cultural diversity and population specific (age appropriate care) into all aspects of investigation, evaluation intervention and communication; services provided will encompass age groups ranging from infant through geriatric
• Utilize interpersonal skills to interact effectively with employees, leadership, physicians, board, and external audiences
• Facilitate group dynamics, create enthusiasm, and encourage teamwork among diverse members of a group
• Process meaningful reports that reflect best use of data, statistical analysis, and trending graphics
• Respond verbally and/or in writing to immediate requests in a positive and professional manner
• Provide visionary thinking and processes which are outside the traditional methods and standards
• Establish and maintain collaborative relationships
• Work effectively in a team environment
• Work independently with minimal supervision
• Work with frequent interruptions and competing priorities
• Utilize time management concepts and maximize time effectively
• Listen and appropriately responds to quality of care complaints or concerns, and /or inappropriate behavior, in an effective, timely, ethical and polite manner.
• Review evidence based practices and guidelines while comparing to organizational policies, procedures and practice; identify non-compliance and take appropriate action
• Possess the ability to turn data into information to support process improvement and change.
• acts independently with minimal supervision
• develops measurement processes and reports that are of serious importance to the organization
• has access to and stewardship of considerable confidential information in supporting the strategic initiatives of the organization as well as quality and risk performance information
• communicates to employees the vision, values, and strategic goals of the organization
• requires frequent interaction with administration, medical staff, management, employees, and external organizational relationships, and customers.
• Assists in facilitating compliance with regulatory, legal, and accreditation requirements. MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Min/Preferred Education Level Description
Minimum 4 Year / Bachelors Degree Bachelors of Science in Nursing (BSN) or Associates in Nursing with relevant/equivalent experience to BSN AND must obtain Bachelors of Science in Nursing (BSN) within two (2) years.
Years Of Experience
Minimum Years of Experience Comments
3 Three (3) to five (5) years experience in the health care industry including two years of leadership experience
Certification Title Required To Have By Comments
License Title Required To Have By Comments
Other Minimum Qualifications
• Or an equivalent combination of education and experience relating to the above tasks, knowledge, skills, and abilities will be considered.
Minimum Qualifications Disclaimer
Or an equivalent combination of education and experience relating to the above tasks, knowledge, skills and abilities will be considered
Billings Clinic is a community-owned, not-for-profit health care organization in Billings, Montana with approximately 4,000 employees, including over 400 physicians and advanced practitioners. Our integrated organization consists of a multi-specialty group practice and a 304-bed hospital. Learn more about Billings Clinic (https://www.billingsclinic.com/about-us/) (our organization, history, mission, leadership and regional locations) and how we are recognized nationally for our exceptional quality (https://www.billingsclinic.com/quality-safety/) .
Billings Clinic is committed to the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity. All policies and processes are designed toward achieving fair and equitable treatment of all employees and job applicants. Employees are encouraged to discuss any concerns they have in this regard with their immediate supervisor and/or the Vice President People Resources. All employees and job applicants will be provided the same treatment in all aspects of the employment relationship, regardless of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, genetic information or disability.