Billings Clinic Registered Respiratory Therapist - Per Diem in Billings, Montana
You’ll want to join Billings Clinic for our outstanding quality of care, exciting environment, interesting cases from a vast geography, advanced technology and educational opportunities. We are in the top 1% of hospitals internationally for receiving Magnet® Recognition consecutively since 2006.
And you’ll want to stay at Billings Clinic for the amazing teamwork, caring atmosphere, and a culture that values kindness, safety and courage. This is an incredible place to learn and grow. Billings, Montana, is a friendly, college community in the Rocky Mountains with great schools and abundant family activities. Amazing outdoor recreation is just minutes from home. Four seasons of sunshine!
You can make a difference here.
Billings Clinic is a community-owned, not-for-profit, Physician-led health system based in Billings with more than 4,700 employees, including over 550 physicians and non-physician providers. Our integrated organization consists of a multi-specialty group practice and a 304-bed hospital.Learn more (https://www.billingsclinic.com/about-us/) about Billings Clinic (our organization, history, mission, leadership and regional locations) and how we are recognized nationally for our exceptional quality.
We provide a comprehensive and competitive benefits package to all full-time employees (minimum of 24 hours/week), including Medical, Dental, Vision, 403(b) Retirement Plan with employer matching, Defined Contribution Pension Plan, Paid Time Off, employee wellness program, and much more.Click here (https://www.billingsclinic.com/careers/employee-benefits/) for more information ordownload the Employee Benefits Guide (https://ncstoragemlbillings.blob.core.windows.net/public/2021%20Billings%20Clinic%20Staff%20Benefits%20Guide.pdf) .
Magnet: Commitment to Nursing Excellence
Billings Clinic is proud to be recognized for nursing excellence as a Magnet®-designated organization, joining only 97 other organizations worldwide that have achieved this honor four times. The re-designation process happens every four years. Click here (https://www.billingsclinic.com/campaign-landing-pages/magnet/) to learn more!
All new employees must complete several pre-employment requirements prior to starting. Click here (https://billingsclinic.csod.com/ats/careersite/search.aspx?site=15&c=billingsclinic) to learn more!
Registered Respiratory Therapist - Per Diem
RESPIRATORY THERAPY (Billings Clinic Main Campus)
Employment Status: Per Diem
Hours per Pay Period: 0.01 = per diem (Non-Exempt)
Starting Wage DOE: $25.68 - 30.17
The incumbent in this position will perform duties within defined scope of practice for specific specialty area(s) assigned. Specialty areas may include, but not limited to, Acute Care, Critical Care, LDRP/NICU, Pediatric Care, Hyperbaric Medicine, and/or Outpatient Pulmonary Physiology Lab, Outpatient Pediatric Clinic, and Outpatient Pulmonary Rehab. Based on therapy driven protocols, instructs, administers, and monitors full range of respiratory care services and treatments to patients, airway and ventilator management, emergent respiratory care, bronchoscopy assistance, bedside electrocardiograms (EKG) monitoring and testing, arterial punctures, arterial line draws, blood gas analysis, pulmonary diagnostic testing, patient education, and rehabilitation. Recognizes and reports any unusual reactions to treatment, contraindications to treatment, or inappropriate use of therapy to the healthcare and/or physician team.
Essential Job Functions
• Supports and models behaviors consistent with Billings Clinic’s mission, vision, values, code of business conduct and service expectations. Meets all mandatory organizational and departmental requirements. Maintains competency in all organizational, departmental and outside agency standards as it relates to the environment, employee, patient safety or job performance.
• Collaborates with the interdisciplinary care team to execute a plan of care appropriate to the needs of the patients utilizing evidence based and best practice. Incorporates the respiratory process into the goal-directed plan of care for the patient.
• Adheres to Billings Clinic safety standards, policies, and practices. Anticipates and identifies problems and safety issues, then initiates appropriate action. This includes complying with hand hygiene adherence, isolation practices, clean/dirty equipment process, reassemble of equipment, and processes associated with Sterile Processing Department if needed.
• Ensures complete, accurate, and timely entry into patient medical record as indicated by patient condition and documentation guidelines, consistent with departmental policies and procedures.
• Checks and maintains respiratory therapy equipment. Maintains appropriate skill, knowledge, and application of relevant and commonly used equipment specific to the area based on disease process or physiological status.
• Ensures complete, accurate, critical value reporting, and timely entry into patient medical record for all Pulmonary Laboratory values. Performs arterial puncture, arterial line draws, and blood gas analysis consistent with departmental policies and procedures. Completes Laboratory equipment maintenance and regulatory logs as assigned.
• Takes responsibility for own professional growth, punctuality, and developmental needs. Meets all system/departmental educational, competency, and meeting requirements. Participates in departmental committees and activities to positively contribute skills and ideas for better departmental advancements and processes.
• Performs all duties dealing with floor care, Intensive Care Unit, Emergency Department, and Pediatrics.
• Performs other duties as assigned or as needed to meet the needs of the department/service.
• Attends and participates in multidisciplinary rounds including Critical Care Service x-ray rounds. Initiates, monitors, and makes necessary changes based on provider orders or established guidelines for mechanical ventilation techniques and related procedures. Sets up and assists with diagnostic and therapeutic procedures such as bronchoscopy and airway management. Performs walking rounds when giving and receiving report in critical care areas. Completes all necessary logs assuring that logs and kits are checked, signed, & locked.
• Attends all high risk deliveries. Participates in multidisciplinary rounds including x-ray rounds. Initiates, monitors, and makes necessary changes based on provider orders or established guidelines for mechanical ventilation techniques and related procedures. Sets up and assists with diagnostic and therapeutic procedures such as surfactant administration and airway management. Performs walking rounds when giving and receiving report. Completes all necessary logs assuring that logs and kits are checked, signed, & locked.
• Performs all hyperbaric medicine duties which includes but not limited to; assessment of tympanic membranes, emergency procedures and decompression, patient assessment, operation of the chamber and all hyperbaric equipment, thorough knowledge of policies and procedures. Successful completion of tympanic membrane and safety training with ongoing competency.
• Performs PFT’s (Pulmonary Function Tests), EIB’s (Exercise Induced Bronchospasm testing), EIB with laryngoscopy, Methacholine Challenges and Asthma Education for pediatric patient populations.
• Educates patients and families on all aspects of outpatient respiratory care in the home (medication and equipment) in regards to asthma, cystic fibrosis, interstitial lung disease, neuromuscular diagnoses, sleep apnea and sleep hygiene, etc.
• Responsible for rooming clinic patients, taking vitals and history, reviewing medication history, schedules appointments and diagnostic tests and procedures as ordered by physician.
• Reviews sleep study results and nocturnal oximetry results and informs provider of patients who require immediate attention.
• Travels with providers to provide support for outreach clinics within the service area.
• Researches and provides articles and data regarding best practice for respiratory care and cystic fibrosis and all aspects of respiratory care. Serves as the RRT for the Adult cystic fibrosis clinic. Performs daily visits with inpatient cystic fibrosis patients (adult and pediatric). Educates patient and family on all aspects of respiratory care in regards to cystic fibrosis. Educates hospital RT’s on cystic fibrosis care and assure all respiratory orders are followed.
• Assists with laryngoscopies (with or without exercise) including sterilizing scope, setup and restocking of cart and medications.
• Participates in the development of policies and procedures for the pediatric respiratory care program.
• May perform endotracheal intubation in emergent situations.
• Performs pulmonary physiology testing (i.e. blood gas analysis, pulmonary function testing, bronchoprovocation, pulmonary exercise stress testing, exercise induced bronchospasm testing, disability testing and metabolic testing) as per departmental policy and procedure. Calculates test results and communicates results to physicians for interpretation.
• Able to assist with inpatient bedside spirometry as schedule allows.
• Assist with QA/QI per departmentt policy and as directed.
• Able to independently or with vendor support trouble shoot all equipment in the PFT lab.
• Participates in the development of policies and procedures for the outpatient Pulmonary Physiology Lab.
• Assists with daily calibration and equipment maintenance.
• Travels with providers to provide support for outreach clinics within the service area.
• Assist with QA and QI for the Pulmonary Rehab lab.
• Assist with Pulmonary Rehab lab accreditation
• Graduate of an AMA-approved school for Respiratory Care
Certifications and Licenses
• Healthcare Provider CPR certification
• Current Montana RCP license
Other Minimum Qualifications
• Must be a Registered Respiratory Therapist by the National Board for Respiratory Care within six (6) months of employment
• For moderately complex (non-waived) laboratory testing, verification of education (copy of degree diploma or transcripts) must be provided for the highest science related degree; if training was under a certification program will need to provide copy of high school transcript
• Additional Qualifications for Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) I Hospital
ACLS, PALS, & NRP certification within 2 years of employment
Billings Clinic is Montana’s largest health system serving Montana, Wyoming and the western Dakotas. A not-for-profit organization led by a physician CEO, the health system is governed by a board of community members, nurses and physicians. Billings Clinic includes an integrated multi-specialty group practice, tertiary care hospital and trauma center, based in Billings, Montana. Learn more atwww.billingsclinic.com/aboutus (https://www.billingsclinic.com/about-us/)
Billings Clinic is committed to the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity. All policies and processes are designed toward achieving fair and equitable treatment of all employees and job applicants. Employees are encouraged to discuss any concerns they have in this regard with their immediate supervisor and/or the Vice President People Resources. All employees and job applicants will be provided the same treatment in all aspects of the employment relationship, regardless of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, genetic information or disability.