Indian Health Service Medical Technologist in Browning, Montana
Become a part of an innovative, dynamic, nationwide organization of dedicated health care providers working to meet the individual health care needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Indian Health Service (IHS) employees are considerate in our care, creative in our approach, enthusiastic about our work and compassionate with our patients.
Our lifestyle is adventurous, community oriented and focused on service and problem solving as part of a professional interdisciplinary team. Join us in improving the health outcomes of 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives.
ORGANIZATIONAL LOCATION: Department of Health & Human Services (HHS), Indian Health Services (IHS), Northern Plains Region, Great Plains Area, Laboratory Department, Billings, Montana. Position reports to the Supervisory Medical Technologist.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is being announced concurrently under Delegated Examining procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number ++IHS-18-BI-10072926-DE++;for eligibility requirements. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
Learn more about this agency
MAJOR DUTIES: Prepares specimens for analysis, requesting a new specimen if a particular specimen is determined to be unsuitable, insuring that the physiological state of the properties is maintained. The incumbent prepares reagents and primary reference materials. Selects, Performs, evaluate and monitor the performance of non-routine and specialized test procedures using manual and/or instrumental techniques in accordance with established protocols. Recognizes and reacts to indicators of malfunction; locates and implements corrections. Obtains analytical data (e.g. color and points, digital read outs, tracings, patterns, agglutinations); converts to prescribed units for reporting; and correlates data to verify results to appropriate individuals. Calibrates, standardizes, adjusts and maintains instruments. Verifies correct instrument operation using established procedures and quality control checks (e.g., mechanical, optical, scintillation, gasometrical, photometric, electrometer, automated). Identifies the cause of common problems and makes simple repairs. Conducts quality control procedures on equipment, reagents and products and maintains proper records for quality control reports. Evaluates and recommends new tests. May instruct other laboratory scientists, medical technicians, nurses and other in techniques, equipment use, test slips requirements, etc.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Candidates eligible under Indian Preference appointing authority; All Federal employees serving on a career or career-conditional appointment; Reinstatement eligible; Veterans Preference including Veterans Employment Opportunities Act of 1998 (VEOA); Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) eligible; Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) eligible; Schedule A, and/or PHS Commissioned Corps Personnel
Questions? This job is open to 5 groups.
- #### Job family (Series)
0644 Medical Technologist
- Clinical Laboratory Technologists
- Clinical Laboratory Technologists And Technicians
- Medical And Clinical Laboratory Technologists
- Medical Laboratory Technologists
- Technologists, Clinical Laboratory
Technologists, Medical Laboratory
Conditions of Employment
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment fingerprint check.
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment background investigation.
- ESEP appointees typically serve a two year trial period.
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- (Delete if not applicable) Confidential Financial Disclosure Form required
- Selectee may be subject to a probationary/trial period.
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: 10/29/2018
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
BASIC REQUIREMENT(S): A Bachelor's or graduate/higher level degree from a regionally accredited college/university including courses in biological science, chemistry and mathematics, AND successful completion of a Medical Laboratory Scientist/Clinical Laboratory Scientist program accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS) or an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education (external link) at the time the degree was obtained. OR
A full 4-year course of study that included 12 months in a college or hospital-based medical technology program or medical technology school approved by a recognized accrediting organization. The professional medical technology curriculum may have consisted of a 1-year post- bachelor's certificate program or the last 1 or 2 years of a 4-year program of study culminating in a bachelor's in medical technology.
A Bachelor's or graduate/higher level degree from an accredited college/university, including 16 semester hours (24 quarter hours) of biological science (with one semester in microbiology), 16 semester hours (24 quarter hours) of chemistry (with one semester in organic or biochemistry), one semester (one quarter) of mathematics, AND five years of full time acceptable clinical laboratory experience in Blood Banking, Chemistry, Hematology, microbiology, Immunology and Urinalysis/Body Fluids. This combination of education and experience must have provided knowledge of the theories, principles, and practices of medical technology equivalent to that provided by the full 4-year course of study described in A or B above. All science and mathematics courses must have been acceptable for credit toward meeting the requirements for a science major at an accredited college or university. Acceptable experience is responsible professional or technician experience in a hospital laboratory, health agency, industrial medical laboratory, or pharmaceutical house; or teaching, test development, or medical research program experience that provided an understanding of the methods and techniques applied in performing professional clinical laboratory work. Certification/licensure as a medical technologist (generalist) obtained through written examination by a nationally recognized credentialing agency or State licensing body is a good indication that the quality of experience is acceptable.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Your resume must demonstrate at least one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector performing the following type of work and/or tasks: GS-07- 1 year of graduate-level education or superior academic achievement 1 year equivalent to at least GS-5 GS-09- 2 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master's degree or master's or equivalent graduate degree 1 year equivalent to at least GS-7 GS-10- 1 year of specialize experience equal to the GS-09 grade level. Knowledge skills to the ability to independently plan and carry out assignments within agreed upon timeframes, resolving conflicts as they arise, experience practicing as a Medical Technologist in a hospital ot clinic setting.
Time-In-Grade Requirements: Merit Promotion (status) candidates must have completed one year of service at the next lower grade level. Time-In-Grade provisions do not apply under the Excepted Service Examining Plan (ESEP).
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which they earn annual leave is earned. This position meets the criteria specified in pillar number one of the five pillars of the PHS Commissioned Corps. PHS Commissioned Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps MUST apply online under the merit promotion announcement indicated above in order to receive consideration. For more information on PHS Commissioned Corps, visit the website at: http://www.usphs.gov/ This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit. Recruitment or relocation incentives may be authorized. At least a 6 month service agreement will be required. This position has promotion potential to the GS-10 grade level. Promotion to the next grade level is at management's discretion and is based on your demonstrated ability to perform the higher level duties, the continuing need for the higher level duties, and "Regulatory/Administrative" approval. Promotion to the next higher grade level is not guaranteed and no promise of promotion is implied.? CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints and background investigation documentation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- This is a designated position covered by Public Law 101-630, requiring contact or control over Indian children. Upon tentative selection, selectee will be requested to complete, sign, and submit the Addendum to OF-306, Child Care & Indian Child Care Worker Position form. Due to this requirement, the agency must ensure that persons hired for these positions have not been found guilty of or pleaded nolo contendere or guilty to certain crimes?.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities.
- Drug testing is required
- On-call hours or standby duty may be required, weekend and call backs. IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
You will be evaluated to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications required and on the extent to which your application shows that you possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities associated with this position. To determine if you are qualified for this position, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against the qualifications as defined in the qualifications section of this vacancy announcement and your responses to the assessment questions. You will be further evaluated/rated based on the information provided in your resume (your resume must state specific duties that relate to this position) and your responses to the assessment questions to determine your competency in the following:
- Attention to Detail
- Customer Service
- Quality Assurance
- Technical Competence
You will receive a numeric rating based on your responses to the assessment questionnaires. If after reviewing your resume and responses to the assessment questions, a determination is made that you have overstated your qualifications and or experience, you may lose consideration.
The following links below provide information on how you may be eligible for various hiring authorities. If you are a Veteran, qualified CTAP and ICTAP eligible, or an individual with a disability, please refer to the following links below for additional guidance: * Veterans , i.e. (VEOA, VRA, and 30% or more disabled) - https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/veterans-services/vet-guide/ * Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) - http://www.ihs.gov/jobs/permanentDocs/ctap.doc * Interagency Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) - https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/ * Schedule A Appointments for the Disabled - https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/disability-employment/hiring/
Click here to view vacancy questions:https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10072925 . All documents above MUST be received by 11:59 (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date of 10/29/2018, to be considered.
Background checks and security clearance
Q - Nonsensitive
- Required Documents
Required Documentation for Eligibility and Preference:
- Resume: You are highly encouraged to use USAJOBS Resume Builder to ensure all required information is included in your Resume. If you use your own resume, curriculum vitae, or any other written form you choose then you must describe your job-related qualifications that includes beginning and ending dates for paid and non-paid work experience, hours worked per week, month and year of employment for each job title listed, annual salary, and description of job duties. Include name and address of employer; supervisor name and telephone number.
- Indian Preference Applicants: If claiming Indian preference, applicants must provide a completed copy of the Form BIA-4432, "Verification of Indian Preference for Employment in the BIA and IHS Only." Indian preference will not be given unless a properly signed and dated form is submitted with your application, including any verification by an authorized Tribal Representative or BIA Official of tribal enrollment records. For detailed instructions, see form BIA-4432. Refer to BIA-4432 link: http://www.bia.gov/cs/groups/xois/documents/document/idc1-029504.pdf. When an Indian Preference candidate possesses Veterans' preference the rules regarding Veterans' preference apply under ESEP and the applicant must provide documentation in order to receive preference.
- Veterans Preference: If claiming Veteran's Preference provide a copy of your DD214 Form (Member 4 copy). To claim 10-Point Veteran's Preference, submit a SF-15 Application (http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdffill/SF15.pdf) along with the appropriate supporting documentation. For additional information regarding Veterans Preference visit: www.fedshirevets.gov
- Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP)/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP):If you are claiming CTAP/ICTAP, follow the instructions below: http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/ctapguideline.pdf.
- Current or former Federal employee: Include your most recent SF50 or if Reinstatement eligible include your Career SF-50.
- Noncompetitive eligibles:submit additional documents to prove your eligibility to apply to this vacancy.
- Transcripts must be provided if substituting education for experience and/or if education is required for this position. Unofficial transcripts will be required before entrance on duty. Your application package MUST be complete by 11:59 pm Eastern Standard Time (EST) on 10/29/2018, the closing of this announcement.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package. See required documents below. Click 'Apply' to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account. 1. Follow the prompts to upload required documents and complete the assessment questionnaire. 2. Please ensure you click the 'Submit Application' button to submit your application. 3. Applications must be received by the closing date of the announcement to receive consideration. 4. Check application status by logging into your USAJOBS account, clicking Home, then click the Job Title to expand the details. Return to an incomplete application by clicking Apply Online in the vacancy announcement and re-selecting your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account.
The IHS provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the Human Resources Office (Jolene Around Him, 406-247-7218 and/or email@example.com) The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis.
For additional questions please see our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) found here: https://www.ihs.gov/jobs/index.cfm?module=faq
Agency contact information
Jolene Around Him
Billings Area Indian Health Service 2900 4th Avenue North Billings, MT 59101 US
Learn more about this agency
You can track the progress of your application package via your USAJobs account. You will receive an acknowledgement from USAJobs that your submission was successful once we have received your on-line occupational questionnaire, resume, and any supporting documentation. You will be notified of the status of your application via your USAJobs Account after we conduct a qualification review of your complete application package. You will be contacted if further evaluation or interviews are required. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempt to conceal information may disqualify you for employment consideration. We may verify all information you provide in your resume and questionnaire responses, through reference and/or background check, and/or verification of your education. If you are selected, you will be contacted personally by the human resources office posting this announcement.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
**If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed are received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer **
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/483173300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 10/30/2017 to 10/29/2018
Salary: $43,612 to $71,247 per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 7 - 10
Work schedule: Full-Time
Appointment type: Permanent