Montana Technological University BPPF Associate Professor-Professor Geologist in Butte, Montana
The Montana Bureau of Mines and Geology (MBMG) seeks a broadly-trained geologist with expertise in sedimentary/depositional processes and basin analyses, particularly as they relate to energy resource development. Primary duties will be to evaluate sedimentary basins to assess coal and petroleum resources, generate stratigraphic correlations and subsurface maps, and manage and analyze lithologic and geochemical data. The successful candidate will participate in applied geology projects conducted by the MBMG, working alone or as part of a team, to investigate the mineral potential of coalbeds, coal waste streams, and sediments within sedimentary basins. Additional duties will include designing new research projects, writing proposals, presenting research results at scientific meetings, and presenting to federal/state agencies and the public. Applicant must be able to work independently and for extended time on a computer. Depending on qualifications, the individual will be hired as either an Assistant or Associate Geologist. The position is based in Billings, Montana.
• Master’s degree plus 3 years’ experience (Assistant Professor Level) or a
• Ph.D. (Assistant Professor Level) or
• Master’s degree plus 8 years’ experience (Associate Professor level)or
• Ph.D. plus 5 years’ experience (Associate Professor level) in Geology or closely related field.
• Demonstrated experience managing and analyzing geologic data for use in stratigraphic correlation, subsurface mapping, and/or 3D modeling.
• Excellent written and verbal skills as demonstrated by some combination of papers, reports, maps, publications, and/or abstracts of presentations.
Research-oriented with a strong understanding of geologic mapping principals, experience developing and working with digital geologic maps, and a strong understanding of sedimentary/depositional processes and basin analyses, particularly as they relate to energy resource development.
• Demonstrated experience developing and working with digital geologic maps using ESRI ArcGIS Desktop or ArcGIS Pro.
• Experience in coal and/or petroleum geology.
• Experience applying geostatistical methods to solve geoscientific problems.
• Experience with subsurface mapping using ArcGIS and/or other commercial software.
• Understanding of logging methods, log interpretation, and some reservoir engineering.
• Familiarity with coal sampling and coal quality data.
• General knowledge of Montana geology and tectonics.
• Experience working with the public and communicating with non-scientific audiences.