CDM Smith Director, Group Management in Butte, Montana
The Environmental Services Group Director provides the overall leadership and management of CDM Smith’s Environmental Services Group (ESG), including its line managers, practice leaders, discipline leaders, technical specialists, and project managers. The Director works in close collaboration with peers in the Client Service Units to advance strategies, increase bench-strength, source strategic technical talent, and to showcase our technical accomplishments and expertise on strategic pursuits. By accepting the challenges of this position, the qualified candidate should be able to:
• Embrace the responsibility of furthering CDM Smith’s dominant position in the Environmental industry by driving technical excellence; fostering ingenuity and innovation; and identifying, attracting, developing, and retaining the best, brightest, and boldest Environmental talent in the industry.
• Support continuous improvement, a culture of quality, accountability to commitments, and CDM Smith’s Core Values; and should be able to challenge the “status quo”.
• Drive the continuous search for technologies that provide CDM Smith with a competitive edge and allow us to help our clients solve challenging problems and to do more for less.
• Understand that recognizing a problem does not make a problem go away. The ideal Group Director not only readily recognizes a problem, but also leverages the leadership acumen of ESG to develop, recommend, and implement actions to solve the problem.
• Embrace the fact that ESG has clients both internal and external to CDM Smith, and that ESG’s goal is to provide legendary client service to both groups of clients, such that both client groups “clamor” for ESG services.
• Encourage the opportunities afforded by a matrix organization and leverage its advantages to grow the firm while keeping our existing clients “CDM Smith clients.”
• Deliver ESG budgeted direct labor, utilization, and overhead rate commitments by effectively placing the right people, with the right skill sets, on the right projects, at the right time; and by effectively leveraging ESG’s TDM and RTL leadership corps and the Resource Forecasting Tool in collaboration with the Client Service Units and CCI.
• Drive staff retention, hiring, development, and growth within ESG through staff engagement, deliberate leadership, and “sense of pride” activities, and through recruitment of new professional, strategic, and technical bench strength hires.
• Provide leadership for ESG staff as part of the advancement of the firm’s and TSU’s strategic programs, including: the Technical Specialist Development Program, the Career Compass Mentoring Program, the Culture of Quality (to deliver Technical Excellence) Initiative, the Inspire/Elevate Leadership Programs, the Virtual Design and Construction Initiative, the Transformational Growth Initiatives, and other such programs and initiatives as they develop.
• Connect with staff and gain an appreciation for office and staff specific needs by visiting 15 to 20 offices each year, virtually and/or in person as conditions allow.
• Commit and deliver the staffing required for projects through the line management leadership of the TDM and the RTL corps.
• Champion technical excellence for all products of service, compliance with Quality Management and Health and Safety procedures, staff’s adoption and leverage of our Technical Knowledge Management Program, and ingenuity and innovation across all practices and disciplines.
• Leverage the Practice and Discipline Leaders, in partnership with the Client Service Units, for positioning CDM Smith in the market, getting out ahead of the competition, and “wowing” our existing and potentially new clients with our ingenuity and innovation.
• Lead, manage and expand our Environmental services capabilities in our India Global Resource Centers to support our Environmental client base, such that our products of service “follow the sun” for competitive and timely delivery purposes.
Director, Group Management
Bachelor’s degree. 15 years of related experience with at least 3 years in a leadership and/or management capacity. Domestic and/or international travel may be required. The frequency of travel is contingent on specific duties, responsibilities, and the essential functions of the position, which may vary depending on workload and project demands. May be required to relocate to support business needs.
• Master’s Degree in Civil or Environmental engineering preferred
• Professional engineer license in home state preferred
We attract the best people in the industry, supporting their efforts to learn and grow. We strive to create a challenging and progressive work environment. We provide career opportunities that span a variety of disciplines and geographic locations, with projects that our employees plan, design, build and operate as diverse as the needs of our clients. CDM Smith is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Why CDM Smith?:
Check out this video and find out why our team loves to work here! (https://www.cdmsmith.com/en/Video/Meet-CDM-Smith)
Join Us! CDM Smith – where amazing career journeys unfold.
Imagine a place committed to offering an unmatched employee experience. Where you work on projects that are meaningful to you. Where you play an active part in shaping your career journey. Where your co-workers are invested in you and your success. Where you are encouraged and supported to do your very best and given the tools and resources to do so. Where it’s a priority that the company takes good care of you and your family.
Our employees are the heart of our company. As an employer of choice, our goal is to provide a challenging, progressive and inclusive work environment which fosters personal leadership, career growth and development for every employee. We value passionate individuals who challenge the norm, deliver world-class solutions and bring diverse perspectives. Join our team, and together we will make a difference and change the world.
Job Site Location:
United States - Nationwide
All vendors must have a signed CDM Smith Placement Agreement from the CDM Smith Recruitment Center Manager to receive payment for your placement. Verbal or written commitments from any other member of the CDM Smith staff will not be considered binding terms. All unsolicited resumes sent to CDM Smith and any resume submitted to any employee outside of CDM Smith Recruiting Center Team (RCT) will be considered property of CDM Smith. CDM Smith will not be held liable to pay a placement fee.
Amount of Travel Required:
Visa Sponsorship Available:
No - We will not support sponsorship, i.e. H-1B or TN Visas for this position
Skills and Abilities:
• Demonstrated adherence to CDM Smith’s Vision and Core Values
• Demonstrated commitment to CDM Smith’s Transformational Growth initiatives
• Demonstrated ability to make tough decisions
• Self-directed, motivated, mission-driven with positive attitude
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including ability to represent the firm to industry groups and the media on a national and international level
• Strong consensus builder and team player
• Strong leader, instilling confidence in our firm and in our business unit through open and transparent interaction and collaboration
• Minimum of 15 years of progressive experience in leading Environmental projects, programs, and staff
• U.S. and overseas experience in delivery of Environmental projects preferred
• Developer and implementer of best practices in delivery of Environmental projects
• Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people
• Ability to inter-relate and operate effectively with peers managing operating units throughout the organization
• Proven ability to budget and deliver on financial commitments
Background Check and Drug Testing Information:
CDM Smith Inc. and its divisions and subsidiaries (hereafter collectively referred to as “CDM Smith”) reserves the right to require background checks including criminal, employment, education, licensure, etc. as well as credit and motor vehicle when applicable for certain positions. In addition, CDM Smith may conduct drug testing for designated positions.
Background checks are conducted after an offer of employment has been made in the United States. The timing of when background checks will be conducted on candidates for positions outside the United States will vary based on country statutory law but in no case, will the background check precede an interview.
CDM Smith will conduct interviews of qualified individuals prior to requesting a criminal background check, and no job application submitted prior to such interview shall inquire into an applicant's criminal history. If this position is subject to a background check for any convictions related to its responsibilities and requirements, employment will be contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation including criminal history. Criminal history will not automatically disqualify a candidate.
In addition, during employment individuals may be required by CDM Smith or a CDM Smith client to successfully complete additional background checks, including motor vehicle record as well as drug testing.