Blaine County Bridge Heavy Equipment Operator in Chinook, Montana
POSITION: Heavy Equipment Operator
DEPARTMENT: Bridge Department based out of Chinook ACCOUNTABLE TO: Road &Bridge Supervisor
SUMMARY OF WORK:
Employee will operate heavy equipment and/or trucks. Employee will be responsible for general maintenance of equipment, including complete service of all equipment. Employee may be responsible for basic repair of equipment. Employees may be required to perform other kinds of jobs/work at the discretion of the Road & Bridge Supervisor.
Nature of work: Work includes manual labor to operating heavy equipment.
Work week is 40 hours per week. At times, work may occur in adverse weather conditions including heat and cold. Limited overtime may be necessary to complete some projects. All overtime is up to the supervisor.
Personal Contacts: Daily contact with Road & Bridge Supervisor, other employees, and the public.
Supervision Received: Supervision from the Road & Bridge Supervisor in the form of frequent contact by face to face or telephone as needed.
Knowledge: This position requires advanced knowledge of roadway construction and heavy equipment used. Employee will have considerable knowledge of hazards, safety practices, signing, safety of work zone areas, snow removal practices and procedures, equipment maintenance and repair.
Skills: This position requires skills in operating heavy equipment to build and maintain county roads. The position requires some heavy lifting, 50 pounds or more.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
The above knowledge, skills, and abilities are typically acquired through a combination of education and experience equivalent to a High School Diploma. Employee must possess valid State of Montana driver's license with Commercial Endorsement, Type 2, Class A, or be able to obtain such a license within 90 days of employment. Must be able to pass substance abuse testing, both pre-employment and random.
JOB PERFORMANCE STANDARDS:
Evaluation of this position will be based primarily upon performance of the preceding requirements and duties. Examples of job performance criteria include, but are not limited to, the following:
· Performs assigned duties
· Competently operates heavy equipment
· Responds in a timely manner to orders
· Maintains accurate and timely daily records
· Deals tactfully and courteously with the public
· Observes work hours
· Demonstrates punctuality
· Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with supervisor, fellow employees, and the public
• Moderate walking, standing, climbing, lifting heavy objects at times, carrying, stooping bending, kneeling and reaching.
• Be able to lift a minimum of 75 pounds.
• Work in different weather conditions; hot and cold inside and outside, with bugs and in rain, snow, sleet or the wind.
• Frequent exposure to exhaust fumes, welding fumes, gas and diesel fumes.
• Be around moving vehicles and heavy machinery.