RAVALLI COUNTY Bio-Control Program Leader in HAMILTON, Montana
Position: Bio-Control Program Leader Classification: Non-exempt, Full-time
Department: Weed District
Reports to: Weed District Coordinator
Posting Date: July 12, 2021
Application Deadline: Until Filled
Position Grade: Grade 8 (grant funded position)
Rate of Pay: $13.28/hour
Position Schedule: Mon. - Thurs. 10 hour shifts Benefit Eligible: Full benefits/PERS
The Crew Leader coordinates and reports daily to the Weed District Coordinator and is responsible for managing the Youth bio program as well as leading the youth bio-control crew in daily activities. The Crew Leader is the BBCP (Bitterroot Bio-Control Program) field manager and works alongside the youth crew.
• Leads the daily activities of the youth bio-control crew.
• Daily throughout Ravalli County.
• Create training material prior for youth crew.
• Working with Weed District Coordinator to training youth crew.
• Arrange/provide daily transportation for youth crew.
• Work with Forest Service, DNRC, & NRCS personnel.
• Perform fieldwork with the youth crew and project partners.
• Represent Ravalli County Weed District (RCWD) and Bitterroot Bio-Control Program (BBP) to the public.
• Create weekly plan for the youth crew.
• Complete daily report for Weed District Coordinator.
• Respond to land owners that have requested biocontrol agents, arranging a time for collecting and/or distribution.
• Locating new sites for collection.
• Manage inventory of biocontrol agents.
• Researching new funding sources: grant writing, presenting, and managing grant funds with the Weed District Coordinator oversite.
• Develop, improve and managing greenhouse and native plant community garden on site of the Weed District property.
• Ability to lead, oversee, challenge, and encourage youth
• Willingness to learn new biology and technology
• Willingness to learn grant writing/presentations to benefit the program
• Willingness to speak in public and prepare and preform presentations
• Basic computer knowledge
• Familiarity with the outdoors
• Ability to work well in a team environment
• Must be able to travel when needed
• Ability to work with and encourage/teach good work ethics in children
• Learn how to collect, transport, distribute, map, monitor the biocontrol agents, and create reports that will be given to the following agencies but not limited to; Montana Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, DNRC, NRCS, private land owners, Weed Districts across Montana, Montana Department of Transportation, and BLM.
Required Education and Experience:
• Must become herbicide licensed and weed seed free forage licensed.
Preferred Education and Experience:
• High school diploma or equivalent.
Additional Eligibility Requirements:
• Ability to work long hours in hot, summer conditions
• Ability to handle non-threatening insects
• Flexible summer schedule
• Can provide their own daily transportation to office
• Ability to hike 5-10 miles in a day
• Must be able to lift up to 25 pounds at times.
Affirmative Action/EEO Statement
Ravalli County is an equal employment opportunity employer (EEO). Ravalli County does not refuse employment or discriminate in compensation or the other terms, conditions, and privileges of employment based upon race, color, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, pregnancy, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, political beliefs, genetic information, or veteran’s status.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.