RAVALLI COUNTY Motor Vehicle/Tax Clerk in HAMILTON, Montana
RAVALLI COUNTY POSITION DESCRIPTION
Position: Motor Vehicle/Tax Clerk
Department: Ravalli County Treasurer’s Office
Responsible to: Ravalli County Treasurer
Classification: Grade 8 $13.28, Non-Exempt, Full-time 1.0 with benefits
Posting Date: January 11, 2021
Close Date: Open Until Filled
If you would like to be considered for this position, please submit a cover letter, resume and a completed Ravalli County application to:
Ravalli County Human Resources
215 S 4th Street Suite B
Hamilton, MT 59840
or via email to HR@rc.mt.gov
A Ravalli County Application can be downloaded from our website: https://ravalli.us/176/Human-Resources
I. Position Summary
Under the general supervision of the Ravalli County Treasurer, the Motor Vehicle/Tax Clerk is responsible for a variety of clerical and administrative tasks relative to the functions of the Motor Vehicle Division and Property Tax Division of the Treasurer’s Office. This position requires learning the State’s Merlin program in order to issue license plates and Black Mountain Software for the Treasurer’s Office. The majority of time will be spent in face to face interactions with the general public in regards to licensing vehicles.
• Assists public with general information regarding motor vehicle licensing and registration, State and County regulations, and/or requirements.
• Processes motor vehicle registrations, issues vehicle plates, and processes other related tasks.
• Assists public with general information regarding taxes on real estate, mobile homes, and personal property, State and County regulations, and/or requirements.
• Creates bills, receipts, and collects taxes on real estate, mobile homes, and personal property, and processes other related tasks.
• Conducts database and file searches of records to provide accurate and timely information to parties’ eligible to request and receive specific information.
• Processes payments and fees in accordance with established financial guidelines and procedures.
• Provides office reception and clerical support (typing, filing, mail, etc.).
• Performs other duties as assigned.
III. Required Skills/Abilities
• Knowledge of, and ability to competently utilize, standard office equipment (i.e. Computer, typewriter, 10-key calculator, fax, copier, etc.).
• Knowledge of standard computer applications (word processing, spreadsheet, data base).
• Knowledge of basic record keeping and accounting.
• Demonstrated ability to type 40 works per minute.
• Ability to communicate well in both verbal and written forms.
• Ability to stay calm in stressful situations.
• Strong organizational skills and the ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks.
• Ability to interact constructively with various level staff and in a collaborative “team” setting.
• Ability to lift and maneuver boxes up to 25 lbs.
IV. Qualifications and Experience
• High school diploma or equivalent.
• Two (2) years work experience in an office setting with responsibilities involving clerical support and administration, computer database input and retrieval, accounting, and direct public contact.
• Additional education and/or training specific to position responsibilities will be preferred.
• Valid driver’s license.