City of Havre Circulations Library Clerk in Havre, Montana
SUMMARY OF WORK: Maintains and delivers library services for the community; serves as lead worker for responsibilities of the circulation desk; facilitates the circulation of library materials and maintains circulation statistics and borrowers records. Compiles statistics and annual reports according to the needs of the library director and staff. Assists the director in maintaining computers and automation system to perform at optimum level.
Nature of Work: This position performs professional duties requiring adherence to standards of accuracy, timeliness, tact, and confidentiality. Position requires ability to move and shelve heavy books. Position works varying work schedule including evenings and weekends. Consequence of errors may result in dissatisfied library users and loss of time to find and correct mistakes.
Personal Contacts: Continual and demanding contact with the public. Coordinates duties with other employees and supervisor to complete tasks.
Supervision Received: Direction from Library Director.
Essential Functions: Position requires ability to: communicate orally and in writing, retrieve and return books to shelves, type, file, supervise, calculate, read written material, maintain records, mend books, operate a computer, prepare reports, write correspondence, and operate library machines and equipment. Demonstrates a thorough knowledge of current library automation systems.
AREAS OF JOB ACCOUNTABILITY AND PERFORMANCE:
• Strives to meet the objectives of the library as established by the Board.
• Provides direction to other library employees, student workers and volunteers in the circulation department. Orders general library supplies as needed.
• Serves all library users by assisting with reference questions, works the circulation desk according to the assigned schedule, follows routine procedures. Answers the telephone as needed. Performs other related duties as required.
• Performs or delegates the following daily activities; check library material in and out; shelve books; contact library users with overdue materials. • Organizes circulation and overdue notice procedures. Assures all library users are properly registered to check out library material. Prepares monthly circulation reports as required by the library director and/or other agencies. Generates cataloging, system, or circulation reports according to the needs of the library director and staff.
• Assists with the maintenance, implementation and development of the library’s automation system and network. Troubleshoots system and search stations. Follows maintenance schedule to clear files, to clean and keep all workstations free from dust, to monitor the tap process and to back-up the system. Trains library users to search the World Wide Web (Internet).
• Assists with collection management, including inventory, assessing, weeding, purchasing, evaluating gifts, and technical processing. Evaluate books for bindery or mend in house. Supervise and train staff and volunteers to assist with mending books.
Knowledge: This position requires a thorough knowledge of library practices, procedures and techniques; a working knowledge of the laws, regulations and departmental policies pertaining to library services; knowledge of business English, grammar, operation of office machines, computers, search stations, word processors and automation system.
Skills: This position requires skills in dealing with the public; skills in writing; skills in the use of computers and library equipment.
Abilities: Position requires ability to work well with library users; complete tasks; pay attention to accuracy; work with interruptions; maintain confidentiality: stay abreast on new procedures affecting library and services; supervise assistants and volunteers; prepare reports; maintain effective working relationships with fellow employees, other agencies, and the public; communicate clearly and effectively verbally and in writing.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
The above knowledge, skills, and ability are usually acquired through a combination of education and/or experience equivalent to:
• A Bachelor's Degree and three years of experience working in a public library are preferred.
• Current state certification is preferred.
• Strong interest in reading preferred.
JOB PERFORMANCE STANDARDS:
Evaluation of this position will be based primarily upon performance of the preceding requirements and duties. Examples of job performance criteria include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Performs assigned duties.
• Meets the objectives of the library as established by the Board.
• Competently oversees responsibilities of the circulation desk.
• Competently maintains circulation statistics and borrowers' records.
• Effectively assists all library users in the use of the library.
• Maintains confidentiality of sensitive information.
• Prepares accurate and timely reports.
• Deals tactfully and courteously with the public.
• Observes work hours.
• Demonstrates punctuality.
• Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with fellow employees, supervisors and the public.
• Operates and deploys all modules and functions of the automation system, computers and search stations.