Havre Public Schools Library Paraprofessional in Havre, Montana
- To provide support and assistance to the Havre High School Librarian and students daily. Will work under the supervision and direction of the high school librarian. Position is up to 4 hours per day.
Essential Job Functions
- Assists and guides students to reinforce reading, language arts, mathematics, computer instruction, and other skills.
- Works with students individually and in small groups to reinforce basic learning and implement assigned programs.
- Assists in classroom preparations and strategies for reinforcing instructional materials and skills according to individual student needs.
- Assists with record-keeping procedures to document student learning and performance.
- Assists with classroom behavioral management to minimize disruptions, ensure a safe and orderly classroom, and ensure students are on task.
- Assists students in non-instructional areas, such as supervising the student lunch programs, bus duty, playground duty, corridor, study hall, and other related non-instructional areas.
- Accompanies students on field trips for the purpose of assisting with supervision.
- Constructs, copies and distribute and use educational materials as needed.
- Assists students with special needs in all aspects of classroom instruction to maximize inclusion, learning, achievement if IEP objectives, etc.
- Assist students with physical or mental disabilities with activities of daily living for the purpose of maximizing their ability to participate in school or learning activities.
- Follows all applicable safety rules, procedures and regulations governing the proper manner of assistance for all students, including those with disabilities or other special needs.
- Assist guidance, pupil services staff or building administration, as needed.
- Perform any other related duties as assigned.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
- Use standard office equipment, such as personal computers and copiers.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written or oral form.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide, and perform arithmetic operations as needed to assist students.
- Ability to understand, apply and use personal computers and software applications (e.g., Word, Excel).
- Ability to work with a diverse group of individuals.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information regarding students, employees and others.
- Ability to establish a supportive and compassionate relationship with students with special needs.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with students, staff and others contacted in the course of work.
- Ability to report work orally or in writing to supervisor as required.
- Effective writing and verbal communication skills.
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards
- Works in standard office and school building environments.
- Ability to work outdoors during outdoor student activities.
Note: Also see the Summary of Physical, Sensory and Environmental Requirements Needed to Perform Essential Functions for this position.
- Any combination of education and experience providing the required skill and knowledge for successful performance would be qualifying. Typical qualifications would be equivalent to:
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Prior experience working with special needs children desirable.