Thermo Fisher Scientific Product Sustainability Engineer, Chemistry Specialist (US Remote) in Helana, Montana
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. is the world leader in serving science, with annual revenue exceeding $35 billion. Our Mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Whether our customers are accelerating life sciences research, solving complex analytical challenges, improving patient diagnostics and therapies or increasing productivity in their laboratories, we are here to support them.
Location/Division Specific Information
Carlsbad, CA / US Remote / Life Sciences and Laboratory Products Group
How will you make an impact?
You will be a member of a team that is passionate about our global effort to make a positive impact on people and the planet in support of the company’s goal towards net-zero emissions. Reporting to the Senior Manager, Environmental Sustainability, you will work on the Design for Sustainability Program to drive and embed sustainability in our product designs.
• Be a net-zero change agent supporting the company goal of net-zero emissions
• Support growth and continued development of Thermo Fisher Scientific’s greener products program, including maintaining sustainable design criteria for new product development
• Increase product sustainability knowledge in R&D and generally in the organization
What will you do?
• Generate and update content for training materials for R&D and Product Management teams as subject matter authority for chemicals sustainability
• Develop and maintain tools and resources for sustainable product design
• Provide technical expertise and advisement for selection and prioritization of sustainable features to new product introduction teams, in order to develop and embed design for sustainability principles into new product designs
• Participate in the development and implementation of Life Cycle Analysis (LCA) for products
• Develop understanding and monitor the latest technologies for chemicals sustainability and implications for advancements
• Bring together and use intra-company expertise and content to build comprehensive resources and tools for R&D teams
• Support the development of data collection and sustainability critical metrics to report impacts associated with sustainable product and material innovations
• Compile and present progress and metrics to program managers for leadership report-outs and opportunities for improvement
• Remain current through ongoing industry research and efforts to understand trends, work with leaders with vision, participate in industry associations and attend conferences
• Partner and collaborate with external suppliers and industry non-profits
• Directly engage with customers and commercial partners to understand customer needs and recommend solutions to meet their sustainability goals
How will you get here?
Bachelor’s Degree in Sustainability, Environmental Science, Chemistry, Molecular Biology, or related discipline; Advanced degree is preferred
• 5+ years bench level experience in R&D with Product or Process Development
• 5+ years experience in a global and heavily matrixed organization
• Knowledge of sustainability industry standard processes and innovations, especially with respect to chemicals
• Knowledge of green chemistry principles and their application in product and process development
• Experience with LCA (Life Cycle Analysis), sustainable product development, embodied carbon calculations, and circular product design/circular economy
• Proven Project Management capabilities influencing functions outside area of direct authority
• Experience with collaborating with suppliers to understand their sustainability goals and impact to our offerings (preferred)
• Knowledge of chemical regulations such as REACH and TSCA (preferred)
Skills and Abilities
• Passion for sustainability and innovating concrete solutions for sustained change
• Ability to clearly communicate complex ideas verbally and in written form
• Strong organization and analytical skills and the ability to balance multiple detailed projects simultaneously
• Ability to work comfortably and efficiently in cross-functional teams with members from all levels of the organization
• High proficiency with standard Microsoft Office products (e.g. Excel, PowerPoint) as well as statistical software
• Required travel: <10% of time
This position has not been approved for relocation assistance.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.