Black & Veatch Consultant - Transactions - Remote - United States in Helena, Montana
Consultant - Transactions - Remote - United States
Date: Oct 2, 2022
Company: Black & Veatch Family of Companies
At Black & Veatch, our employee-owners go beyond the project. For over a century, we have been breaking down social, economic and geographic barriers by making life's critical resources accessible to all. Working with us, you will help provide critical expertise as we, along with our valued clients, deliver solutions that positively impact communities around the world. Our professionals are our greatest asset, and we believe nothing is more important than the health, happiness and professional growth of our employee-owners. With a focus on flexible work-life balance options, an expanding and diverse workforce, and limitless career growth opportunities, we will give you our best to help yougive us your best, and together we can build a world of difference.
Company : Black & Veatch Mgmt Consulting
Req Id : 73888
Opportunity Type : Staff
Relocation eligible : No
Full time/Part time : Full-Time
Project Only Hire : No
Visa Sponsorship Available: Yes
Black & Veatch is seeking an exceptional professional to join our Global Advisory organization as a Consultant, Transactions. The world is changing at an unprecedented rate and that change increases the demand for innovation and efficiency to deliver solutions and services across the world’s utility infrastructure. Join Black & Veatch Global Advisory and use your talent and expertise to impact the world.
This position is in the transaction solution team within Black & Veatch Global Advisory that will require close work with the strategy and planning team on energy market analysis and production cost modeling. This is a multi-faceted role with exposure to energy market policies, energy market constructs, utility generation planning, power prices forecasting, bidding strategies etc. as the candidate will have to work with the strategy and planning team to understand and account for the impact of these parameters on transmission planning, interconnection and siting, congestion, and curtailment analysis. Key aspects of this role include:
• Assist electric generator developers and investors (banks, private equity and other investment firms) evaluate and assess risks associated with limitation of transmission infrastructure.
• Understand how various market drivers could potentially impact future transmission flows, underlying transmission system and interconnected generation assets.
• Develop siting strategies and identify interconnection locations to support growth of clean energy resources.
• Understand and help our utility clients on future transmission needs required to accommodate their clean energy and decarbonization goals
The successful candidate will contribute to market and transmission due diligence engagements for multiple types of energy assets, including but not limited to renewable energy projects, storage, hydrogen, conventional generation and/or, transmission on behalf of lenders and investors. Primary responsibility will be to develop and maintain energy market nodal models for the technical, financial, and commercial assessment of multiple types of electric generation and transmission assets. The candidate will demonstrate experience with nodal hourly production cost models (such as PLEXOS, PROMOD, GE-MAPS etc.) and power flow models (such as PSLF, PSSE, POWERGEM etc.). This is a key role on a team of engineers, consultants, and financial analysts, with the expectation to collect and analyze transmission related data, perform transmission due diligence, congestion and curtailment analysis, develop transmission assessment reports, develop and maintain client contacts, and develop overall project management responsibilities over time. Consultants in this practice generally work on multiple concurrent projects at a given time.
• Support execution of global advisory projects relating to due diligence, power price forecasting, nodal basis assessment, congestion and curtailment risk, transmission planning and interconnection siting strategies.
• Build, maintain and calibrate nodal production cost models (such as PLEXOS, PROMOD, GE-MAPS) to support transmission analysis and nodal studies.
• Ability to understand and translate information from load flow analysis to nodal models and perform load flow analysis when needed.
• Research transmission planning development and track key transmission upgrades in different ISO/RTOs and utility IRPs, develop regional transmission views and keep nodal model up to date reflecting those developments.
• Identify transmission bottlenecks and constrained lines contributing to system congestion or congestion at a specific node.
• Closely coordinate and work with BV’s Strategy and Planning team to ensure consistency between market and transmission studies.
• Analyze, develop, present, and defend conclusions, recommendations, and implementation plans; Translates analyses into clear and concise reports and presentations
• Utilizes specialized knowledge to produce moderately complex work products and solutions across many phases of an engagement or one phase of a more complex engagement.
• Develops applicable knowledge bases by using best practices to redefine tools and techniques and supports proposal and business development with clients in the same business area.
• Outlines specific performance measures, targets, and goals to articulate the business case for realized efficiencies or added value
• Implements project management capabilities on assigned sub-tasks, including but not limited to managing client expectations, sub-task delegation and work stream resourcing, and risk project management
• Contributes to high quality project execution, including deliverable quality control, scope assessment/feasibility, and issue resolution; contributes to quality review on own engagement
• Anticipates challenges, and implements strategies to minimize issues, leveraging team members skills and expertise as appropriate
• Builds onto existing tools and capabilities for project delivery, including project artifacts, tools, or processes
• Transfer knowledge, capabilities, and skills to improve others’ knowledge and skill levels
• Bachelor’s degree in engineering, mathematics, economics, financial or related field
• At least 4 years of experience in engineering, business, and/or consulting environment within the energy and utility sector with experience in at least one of the following areas:
Renewable Energy Technologies
Financial analysis and modeling
• Ability to understand and work on technical concepts and be able to communicate them to different stakeholders
• Excellent organizational, verbal and written communication skills
• Based in the United States with the ability to travel up to 25%
• A degree in electrical or systems engineering or other technical degree, as well as mathematics, financial, or economic degrees with relevant experience and qualifications will be preferred.
• 1-2 years of experience with electricity market modeling especially nodal and power flow models (e.g., PROMOD, GEMAPS, PLEXOS, PSLF, PSSE, POWERGEM or similar packages)
• 1-2 years of experience in transmission congestion and curtailment analysis
• General working knowledge of complete transaction engagements and due diligence lifecycle.
• Business development capability
• Demonstrated ability to collaborate
Data analysis skills, ability to utilize and operate multiple software packages and working knowledge of programming languages such as Python, R, VBA etc.
Bachelor’s Degree or relevant work experience. 4+ years experience in a business/consulting environment. All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Certifications related to area of expertise, where applicable preferred.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
Based in the United States with the ability to travel up to 25%
Black & Veatch endeavors to makeaccessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process because of a disability, please contact the Employee Relations Department at +1-913-359-1622 or via our. This contact information is for disability accommodation requests only; you may not use this contact information to inquire about the status of applications. General inquiries about the status of applications will not be returned.
Black & Veatch is committed to being an employer of choice by creating a valuable work experience that keeps our people engaged, productive, safe and healthy.
Our comprehensive benefits portfolio is a key component of this commitment and offers an array of health care benefits including but not limited to medical, dental and vision insurances along with disability and a robust wellness program.
To support a healthy work-life balance, we offer flexible work schedules, paid vacation and holiday time, sick time, and dependent sick time.
A variety of additional benefits are available to our professionals, including a company-matched 401k plan, adoption reimbursement, tuition reimbursement, vendor discounts, an employment referral program, AD&D insurance, pre-taxed accounts, voluntary legal plan and the B&V Credit Union. Professionals may also be eligible for a performance-based bonus program.
We are proud to be a 100 percent ESOP-owned company. As employee-owners, our professionals are empowered to drive not only their personal growth, but the company's long-term achievements - and they share in the financial rewards of the success through stock ownership.
By valuing diverse voices and perspectives, we cultivate an authentically inclusive environment for professionals and are able to provide innovative and effective solutions for clients.
Black & Veatch Holding Company, its subsidiaries and its affiliated companies, complies with all Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) affirmative action laws and regulations. Black & Veatch does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, color, sex, national origin, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender Identity and expression, disability, veteran status, pregnancy status or other status protected by law.
For our EEO Policy Statement, please click. If you’d like more information on your EEO rights under the law, please clickand.
Notice to External Search Firms : Black & Veatch does not accept unsolicited resumes and will not be obligated to pay a placement fee for unsolicited resumes. Black & Veatch Talent Acquisition engages with search firms directly for hiring needs.
Job Segment: Environmental Engineering, Systems Engineer, Electrical, Engineer, Engineering