Lincoln Journal Star Digital Editor in Helena, Montana
Position at Independent Record
Lee Enterprises is looking for an editor to help lead our digital efforts in Helena and Butte, Montana.
The position will be responsible for helping serve and grow the digital audience on helenair.com and mtstandard.com. This includes curating the websites based on analytics, sharing content to social media, improving headlines, repackaging content, and helping with breaking news and live coverage coordination.
The ideal candidate will have strong writing, editing and communication skills, including the ability to shift voice and tone based on audience and platform. He or she needs a solid understanding of journalism, social media and SEO, and experience with digital content management systems.
This editor is part of a statewide digital team and reports to the digital director, but works closely with editors, reporters and photographers in both newsrooms. You must be able to work weekends. The position requires regular travel between Butte and Helena, which are about an hour apart. The editor can choose to live in either Helena or Butte, Montana.
- Ensuring stories include related content such as video, photos, graphics and other stories.
- Working with reporters, editors, photographers on best digital presentation for content.
- Creating digital content, to supplement newsroom work and to stand alone.
- Sharing engaging social posts and interact with readers on those platforms.
- Improving headlines for a digital audience; implement SEO best practices.
- Sending push news alerts to readers.
- Troubleshooting website issues and user concerns.
- Training newsrooms on digital and social media best practices.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field.
- Ability to work on tight and often overlapping deadlines.
- Experience with social media, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram.
- Understanding of social media and web analytics.
- Proficiency with digital content management systems.
- Video skills a plus.
We offer an excellent benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, paid holidays and vacation. We are an equal opportunity employer. You can see our website at www.helenair.com and www.mtstandard.com and learn more about our company at www.lee.net.
Apply online at www.helenair.com/workhere. Please include references and samples of digital projects and/or social media posts you have created.