Travelers Manager, Data Management in Helena, Montana
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That’s the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Bus Intelligence & Management Information
Job Description Summary
Ensure data is properly managed and leveraged from Source to Storage to Delivery in the most efficient and effective way to benefit the organization. This position performs accountabilities under general supervision and can:
• Perform analysis, design, development, and configuration functions (includes defining technical requirements) with a high degree of accuracy and speed, operating as an individual contributor to team goals by leveraging technology and analytical skills to apply data analysis practices that will benefit business and IT strategic initiatives.
• Perform advanced data profiling, metadata capture, data lineage, data transformation rules in support of key program deliverables.
• Work alongside the Data Governance team to ensure that data management activities across PI are accounted for and in compliance with established policies and standards.
• Meet data management needs of internal clients according to established standards, including problem research/resolution and customer education.
• Provide data subject matter expertise to business and IT organizations.
• Collaborate with Business Owners and SMEs to define, design, recommend, and leverage tools to measure and monitor data quality.
• Develop, automate, compile, and prepare reports, self-service/ad-hoc environment, dashboards, cubes, etc.
• Convert concepts and ideas into workable prototypes for business review, design validation, usability testing and eventual production migration.
• Review and optimize query performance
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
Participate in the development of Data Management standards and best practices.
Consult on projects, resolve moderate to complex data issues and provide training and mentoring to clients and peers.
Provide guidance to strategic projects around accuracy and availability of data.
Tools and languages – SQL, Teradata, Python, Hive, MicroStrategy, Ab Initio, Hadoop.
Identify, monitor, analyze, prioritize, remediate and communicate data quality issues to stakeholders.
Perform data profiling, analyze and communicate results in support of data quality processes.
Assist in implementation of processes to certify data quality for business intelligence purposes.
Provide day-to-day project leadership by setting priorities, assigning work and ensure standards are being met regarding timeliness and quality.
Discover, document, and analyze data collection and data transformation processes to determine the cause of systemic errors or uncover data quality improvement opportunities
Perform root cause analysis, tracing quality problems to their source and analyze business impacts of data quality issues
Ability to identify and interpret trends or patterns in complex data sets
Demonstrate detailed understanding of overall data models, data relationships, data mapping, lineage and business rules.
Meet with internal customers, business data owners, solution consultants, and data stewards to conduct fact gathering sessions to define and confirm data quality requirements ensuring the solutions meet operational and business needs.
Ensure customer satisfaction through professional communication, follow-up, and responsiveness to issues.
Able to understand assigned business unit and business priorities, while utilizing business knowledge to explain technical activities in business terms.
Able to coordinate with other technical areas to achieve project/department or division goals.
Actively promotes a knowledge sharing culture.
Bachelors degree in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) or Business.
4 years of relevant data and analytics experience required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
Advanced knowledge of Data Management tools, techniques and programing languages.
Understanding of Cloud Technologies helpful
Demonstrates general understanding of overall data models, data relationships, mapping lineage and business rules
Experience performing data analytics and writing SQL queries
Experience with Data Profiling & Data Quality, recommending improvements to best practices
8 years of data management or relevant analytics experience.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
Experience in ETL / Data Integration tools: Ab Initio, Unix, Talend, Python, Pyspark.
Experience in Analytical/Data Visualization tools: MicroStrategy.
Experience with one or more Data platforms (e.g.: Teradata, Hadoop, Snowflake)
Exposure in Cloud Computing Technologies and related emerging technology (e.g. Amazon Web Services) Perform analysis, design, development, and configuration functions (includes defining technical requirements) with a high degree of accuracy and speed, operating as an individual contributor to team goals.
Perform data analysis, assessment and resolution for data defects of advanced complexity and escalate appropriately.
Develop, automate, compile, and prepare reports, self-service/ad-hoc environment, dashboards, cubes, etc.
Lead automation leveraging capabilities for continuous integration, deployment to on-premise and Cloud platforms.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email (4-ESU@travelers.com) so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.