American Express Senior Engineer in Helena, Montana
You won’t just shape the world of software. You’ll shape the world of life, work and play.
Our Software Engineers not only understand how technology works, but how that technology intersects with the people who count on it every day. Today, innovative ideas, insight and new perspectives are at the core of how we create a more powerful, personal and fulfilling experience for all our customers.
This position requires a mix of strategic engineering and design along with hands-on, technical work. We seek a self-starter, visionary person with strong leadership capabilities. Exceptional communication skills, for collaborating across many teams. You will lead teams and deliver best-in-class products in an exciting fast-paced environment with the focus on reliability and automation. Dynamic, smart people and inspiring, innovative technologies are the norm here.
The successful candidate will be highly self-motivated with a passion for quality and automation coupled with an ability to understand complex systems and a desire to constantly make things better.
*You won’t just keep up, you’ll break new ground. *
There are hundreds of opportunities to make your mark on technology and life at American Express. Here’s just some of what you’ll be doing:
* Build & run the platform that delivers services to all of our customers around the world
* You will be on a team of Operational Engineering warriors whose mission it is to build and improve Operational/Support Capabilities for our most critical services
* Building software and systems to manage/support applications through automation, support and monitoring
* Explore and evaluate new technologies and solutions to push our capabilities forward, transform, innovate and continually improving the platform
* You will troubleshoot the platform to achieve optimal support performance, stability and availability.
* You will support operations and work closely with the development engineers to assist with architectural design, and implementation of complex features * Continuously Improve the platform through automation & building new operational capabilities.
Are you up for the challenge?
- Overall 5 yrs experience in a large scale *nix environment
- 5 yrs experience handling BigData Environment
- Software development experience with on or more of: Python, Java or Scala
- Experience with relational databases such as PostgreSQL, MySQL
- Experience with core Hadoop: HDFS, MapReduce, Yarn
- Experience with Streaming Data Platform (Kafka, Storm)
- Experience with distributed/NoSQL databases: HBase, MySQL
- Solid understanding of *nix systems and networking fundamentals
- Solid scripting skills in languages like Python, Shell etc
- Experience as a software developer with MapReduce or Spark
- Experience with extended Hadoop ecosystem: Hive, Pig
- Oncall Experience
- Excellent communication skills, written and spoken; troubleshooting skills
- Evidence of self-learning and commitment to personal development
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Computer Science, or equivalent experience\
- Continues integration, testing and deployment using Git, Jenkins At the core of Software Engineering
Every member of our team must be able to demonstrate the following technical, functional, leadership and business core competencies, including:
- Agile Practices
- Porting/Software Configuration
- Programming Languages and Frameworks
- Business Analysis
- Analytical Thinking
- Business Product Knowledge *Why American Express *
Talk to our people and you’ll find out what we’re really all about. Open, creative, risk-taking, collaborative and innovative are just some of the expressions you’ll hear. It’s our culture that makes American Express an outstanding place to work, and a big part of why we regularly win best workplace awards all over the world. If you’re ready to take on a challenge and make an impact, you owe it to yourself to launch or grow your career here.
-E Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Title: Senior Engineer
Requisition ID: 18015263