Marriott Sr. Manager - Technology Incident Management - Applications (FIRST SHIFT) in Helena, Montana
Job Number 23195238
Job Category Information Technology
Location Marriott International HQ, 7750 Wisconsin Avenue, Bethesda, Maryland, United States
Located Remotely? Y
Position Type Management
This position is the quintessential “working manager” who contributes expert knowledge and leads a team of application engineers to identify root causes of application operational issues rising to the level of a P2 incident or other escalations in scope This position functions as part of a response team under the leadership of an Incident Commander and will collaborate with Network and Infrastructure engineers to bring incidents to closure and restore service. Leads the coordination for resolving application-related incidents in the production environment as a technical expert. Performs research, analysis, and facilitates timely incident resolution. Accountable for restoring normal service operation as quickly as possible and to minimize the impact on business operations for application-related incidents, thus ensuring that the best possible levels of service quality and availability are maintained. Partners closely with Application teams, service desks, Infrastructure/technical teams, to quickly resolve and prevent incidents.
Required Education and Experience
• 7+ years combined and progressive experience in IT operations and SW development (automation).
• 3+ years’ experience in problem or incident management activities
• Undergraduate degree in technology-related discipline or equivalent experience/certification
• Ability to work First Shift (generally 8AM to 5PM EST) with flexibility to support on-call and/or non-standard scheduling if necessary
• Technical proficiency in Marriott core application stack and has a comprehensive knowledge of hospitality technology environment and trends
• Prior SRE experience
• Prior experience as L1, L2, L3 help desk senior analyst or supervisor.
• Experience with distributed operations (hotel, retail, etc.)
• Broad technical acumen across multiple disciplines applications with a solid understanding of current technologies and Cloud platforms (e.g., SAAS)
• Good understanding of how IT applications are built, integrated, and deployed.
• Hospitality industry experience.
• Experience in software development with exposure to multiple programming languages / frameworks.
• Experience managing to metrics to advance goals and objectives.
• Certifications (e.g., ITSM, ITILv4)
• Experience overseeing the execution of a team; setting performance standards; inspiring and sustaining team cohesion and engagement; assuming responsibility for work objectives; initiating and monitoring the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively acting.
• Demonstrated leadership experience in influence and garnering alignment from external organizations (especially offshore IT resources)
• Skilled in conceptualizing creative solutions, documenting them, and presenting/selling them to senior management.
• High level of analytical ability with complex problems
• High level of interpersonal skills to work effectively with others, motivate contractors and peer employees, and elicit work output in a team environment
• Proven experience, knowledge, and demonstration of continuous process improvement
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
• Responds to P2 or other incidents deemed “high Priority” to restore service to hotel operations.
• Functions as a “working manager” providing oversight, training, and mentorship to Application Analysts and contractors
• Contributes to the creation of team’s core processes that will drive continual improvement and advance better service delivery. Aligns team and educates stakeholders.
• Identifies opportunities to automate repetitive tasks and, where applicable, enables AI and machine learning technology to dramatically improve quality service provided our customers
• Seeks opportunities and implement solutions to improve site reliability (reducing Mean Time to Diagnosis, Mean Time to Resolution, System Self-healing, etc.)
• Participates production support calls
• Covers shifts and ensures 24x7.365 coverage
• Communicates software releases (infrastructure, automation, process improvement.)
• Acts as the application(s) lead for incident bridge calls to evaluate event, maintain timeline and ensure that service is restored as quickly as possible. Ensures that application analysts possess KSA to participate independently on bridge calls
• Determine need for new Problem tickets or association with Known Errors or other existing Problems, to help advance continual operational improvement. Note that a separate Problem Management team will own advancing Problem tickets to closure but will be interested in your input.
• Partner with Monitoring Team to ensure that application monitoring is present, current and that metrics meet need to proactive response to anticipated degradation/outage
• Ensure all application Incident playbooks are documented and updated appropriately.
• Manage to help ensure application incident metrics trend in the right direction (e.g., minimal response times, incident backlogs, and reliance on other teams while resolving incidents).
• Help drive feedback loops from Incident and problem Management back into Delivery teams, so that quality improves over time.
Managing Projects and Priorities
• Develops specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish work.
• Champions leaders’ vision for product and service delivery.
• Provides direction and assistance to other teams regarding projects.
• Analyzes information and evaluates results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
• Thinks creatively and practically to develop, execute, and implement new project plans.
• Generates and provides accurate and timely results in the form of reports, presentations, etc.
• Plans, develops, implements, and evaluates the quality of operations.
Delivering on the Needs of Key Stakeholders
• Understands and meets the needs of key stakeholders.
• Communicates concepts in a clear and persuasive manner that is easy to understand.
• Demonstrates an understanding of business priorities.
• Supports achievement of performance goals, budget goals, team goals, etc.
Providing Technical Support and Consultation
• Provides technical expertise and technical leadership within own and other teams.
• Provides recommendations to improve the effectiveness of processes and programs.
• Demonstrates advanced knowledge of job-relevant issues, products, systems, and processes.
• Demonstrates advanced knowledge of function-specific procedures.
• Applies knowledge/judgment to achieve business goals.
• Foresees, identifies, and resolves problems.
• Keeps up-to-date technically and applies new knowledge to job.
• Performs other reasonable duties as required for this position.
California Applicants Only: The salary range for this position is $93,713.00 to $204,107.00 annually.
Colorado Applicants Only: The salary range for this position is $93,713.00 to $185,551.00 annually.
New York Applicants Only : The salary range for this position is $93,713.00 to $204,107.00 annually.
Washington Applicants Only: The salary range for this position is $93,713.00 to $204,107.00 annually. In addition to the annual salary, the position will be eligible to receive an annual bonus. Employees will accrue 0.04616 PTO balance for every hour worked and eligible to receive minimum of 7 holidays annually.
All locations offer coverage for medical, dental, vision, health care flexible spending account, dependent care flexible spending account, life insurance, disability insurance, accident insurance, adoption expense reimbursements, paid parental leave, educational assistance, 401(k) plan, stock purchase plan, discounts at Marriott properties, commuter benefits, employee assistance plan, and childcare discounts. Benefits are subject to terms and conditions, which may include rules regarding eligibility, enrollment, waiting period, contribution, benefit limits, election changes, benefit exclusions, and others.
Marriott HQ is committed to a hybrid work environment that enables associates to Be connected. Headquarters-based positions are considered hybrid, for candidates within a commuting distance to Bethesda, MD; candidates outside of commuting distance to Bethesda, MD will be considered for Remote positions.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law.
Marriott International is the world’s largest hotel company, with more brands, more hotels and more opportunities for associates to grow and succeed. Be where you can do your best work, begin your purpose, belong to an amazing global team, and become the best version of you.