Montana Legal Services Association Staff Attorney in Helena, Montana
Join Montana Legal Services Association and make a difference. You’ll enjoy Montana’s outdoor lifestyle while representing those without a voice in our legal system.
MLSA is a progressive Montana non-profit law firm. We offer our attorneys challenging and fulfilling litigation work, a supportive and collegial work environment, a healthy work-life balance, and a generous benefits package.
MLSA is an equal opportunity employer and we consider the diversity of our staff to be vital to our organization's success. We strongly encourage and welcome people of all cultures, races, educational backgrounds, life experiences, socio-economic classes, sexual orientations, ages, genders, and physical abilities to apply.
Who We Are: MLSA is committed to the idea that equal justice under the law is a right, not a privilege. We are zealous advocates for Montanans who struggle to make ends meet and deserve their day in court.
• Our attorneys have pursued impact litigation all the way to Montana’s Supreme Court, helping to level the playing field for all Montanans.
• Our attorneys work within Montana’s Tribal Courts.
• We are nationally recognized for our forward-thinking approach to civil legal aid and for our use of technology to advance the cause of justice for all in Montana.
The Position: We’re looking for a Staff Attorney to be based in MLSA’s Helena office. The pay range we’re offering is $50,000 and up, depending on experience.
• MLSA offers company-paid health, dental, vision and life insurance; an educational loan repayment assistance program; a 403(b) retirement plan; and eligibility for a health reimbursement or health savings account.
• We also offer a generous paid leave package, including annual, personal and sick leave, and a wellness leave program.
• And if you move from another town in Montana to join us, we offer up to $500 for relocation reimbursement (or $1,000 if you move from out of state).
• A law degree and current license to practice law in Montana is preferred. We will consider applicants with the ability to waive in with a qualifying UBE score, or a willingness to take and pass the next Montana Bar Exam.
• Prior legal services experience is preferred, but a demonstrated commitment to social justice through volunteer activities and internships is valued.
• Must have the ability to take and pass Tribal Bar exams as required.
• Overnight and day travel to surrounding communities is required as needed.
• Represent survivors of family and sexual violence statewide, with a particular focus on the rural and remote areas of North Central, Central, and Western Montana, and on serving American Indians from the Rocky Boy’s, Fort Belknap, Blackfeet, and Flathead Reservations, and members of the Little Shell Tribe of Chippewa Indians.
• Work primarily in the area of family law, but may also assist with other poverty law issues including consumer, housing, employment, public benefits, and probate.
• Provide legal services ranging from brief counsel and advice, to full-scale representation and litigation.
• Participate in MLSA’s statewide initiatives and impact work, and implement grant and contract requirements through casework.
The Location: You’ll be based in Helena, Montana’s capital city, centrally located for a wide variety of outdoor adventures. Helena offers over 80 miles of hiking trails accessible from downtown and its nationally recognized mountain biking trail system offers a full range of expert to family-friendly rides. Cross-country ski trails abound and the local downhill ski area is just 23 miles from Helena and boasts affordable lift tickets, short lift lines, and night skiing on Fridays. And our office is a short walk to Downtown Helena and the Great Northern Town Center featuring great local coffee shops, eateries, craft breweries, a wine bar, a distillery, and handmade ice cream.
Why Should You Apply?
• Live your values and put your law degree to work by representing people who deserve a voice in our legal system.
• Great benefits, generous leave, and competitive pay.
• Access to free CLE seminars and opportunities to attend national conferences and trainings.
• The chance to hone your litigation skills in a friendly and supportive work environment.
How to Apply: Email a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and three professional references to email@example.com. Screening of applicants will begin immediately. The priority deadline for applications is September 25, 2020. The position will remain open until filled.
Visit https://www.mtlsa.org/employment-opportunities/ to download a detailed job description and to learn more about MLSA, our staff, and the work we do.