University of Montana Accounting Associate Manager, Business Services in Missoula, Montana
Business Services invites applications for the Accounting Associate Manager to work in conjunction with the Student Account Manager in the management and operation of the Student Account Services and Treasury Services area. This position will report to the Manager of Student Accounts. This position will be responsible for the management of employees in Student Accounts and Treasury. They will be responsible for administrative support, fiscal management, budget development, internal controls, audit compliance and business-related functions within Student Accounts. Customer service is the main focus within Student Accounts and Treasury and this position will develop and implement training and oversight of all customer service functions. They will examine, analyze and interpret diverse and complex accounting and financial records within multiple fund areas for the purpose of finalizing transactions, giving guidance, ensuring compliance and preparing and finalizing statements and reports.
This position will be directly responsible for:
- Management and oversight of third-party contract accounts, revolving check fund, mock assessment process, wire process accounts, Montana stale-date process, VA funds, federal and institutional student loan funds, multiple special student programs and various email folders within Student Accounts.
- Reconciling and resolving differences for the Federal Direct Lending Student Loan programs which requires full knowledge and understanding of complex federal regulations and multiple federal systems utilized and shared with the U.S. Department of Education.
- Applying budget and accounting theory to various problems and resolving complex issues by using analytical, evaluative or interpretive processes and independent problem-solving skills.
- Applying for and completing training as a Certifying Officer for the Veterans Administration, recording and paying debt letters received from the Veterans Administration and reconciling/tracking wire payments.
- Reviewing, managing and refining policies and procedures within Student Accounts to ensure full compliance with all federal and state laws and regulations.
- Analyzing and processing of student loan overpayments to loan borrowers and student loan servicers.
- Managing the student loan consolidation process for federal loan programs.
- Providing a wide variety of internal and external reports to a variety of end users.
- Analyzing, preparing and certifying various types of reports to multiple federal government agencies, external foundations, and UM departments.
In addition, this position will provide oversight for and works with the Student Accounts team to accomplish a variety of routine and technical accounting tasks including but not limited to the following:
- Direct, coordinate and oversee the fiscal management of both student accounts and student loans receivable as well as collections.
- Develop an in-depth working knowledge of Banner Student, Banner Admissions, Banner Registration, Banner Financial Aid, Banner Finance and the Montana State SABHRS operating systems and functions.
- Develop a working knowledge of UM’s fund and organizational hierarchy to ensure compliance and integrity of financial information used in reporting and analysis.
- Develop an understanding of Montana University System and Board of Regents policies pertaining to all aspects of the administration of tuition and fee assessment.
- Administer Student Accounts and Treasury staff payroll cycles and scheduling of leave.
- Develop and implement accounting or financial procedures to ensure accountability and compliance with various federal and state regulations and requirements.
- Coordinate fiscal year-end closing procedures and reporting.
- Determine training needs and provide training where appropriate for implementation and changes to policies and procedures.
- Actively contribute to the success of Student Services as a member of the Business Services Management Team
This position will supervise all members of the Student Accounts team in conjunction with the Manager/Director of Student Accounts and Treasury. This position in conjunction with the Manager/Director of Student Accounts and Treasury will have substantial independence and decision-making authority regarding performance, pay and employment relationship matters.
This position requires incumbent to develop working knowledge of all Banner Modules used in providing premier customer service in the fields of Admissions, Registration, Student and Finance; develop working knowledge and ability to analyze complex issues and independently develop and implement procedures that may be required to enhance and improve the functions of Student Accounts and Treasury; develop working knowledge and understanding of all federal, state and Montana University System OCHE, Board of Regents, etc.) as they pertain to, but not all inclusive, privacy, collection, student financial aid, veterans, banking and student tuition and fees; and develop working knowledge of public college/university financial operations and accounting systems (Banner and SABHRS).
- Extensive experience in customer service with a variety of customers and diverse cultures in a fast-paced, intense environment.
- Ability to remain calm, professional, respectful and compassionate with all customers and fellow coworkers.
- Considerable and current knowledge of finance theory and terminology; college/university budgeting, accounting and personnel management.
- Ability to research, develop and manage complex financial reporting documents.
- Ability to develop and implement accounting procedures, analyze and interpret accounting problems, compile, interpret, review and communicate financial transactions to various and diverse customers.
- Ability to react quickly to changing circumstances and needs.
- Ability to envision and develop complex financial models, reports, projections and business plans.
- Knowledge, skills and ability to engage in strategic fiscal and human resource planning.
- Ability to create, interpret and manage business contracts.
- Ability to use common sense approaches in making sound and independent decisions quickly.
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple and complex tasks with the highest degree of accuracy.
- Ability to work independently and efficiently with frequent interruptions.
- Experience working with external and internal auditors; ability to cooperate with auditors and provide appropriate responses to audit findings and inquiries.
- Knowledge and experience with supervisory practices.
- High degree of proficiency in the use of the entire suite of Microsoft Office software. Ability to operate standard office equipment.
- Ability to work effectively independently and as part of a team; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of employees and coworkers.
- Strong commitment to confidentiality/discretion; ability to maintain strict confidentiality in compliance with all federal and Montana State privacy laws.
- Extensive knowledge of generally accepted business theories, concepts, terminology, practices, policies and procedures of a public agency for human resources and payroll, fiscal management, cash handling and accounting and record keeping.
- Provide in-depth interpretation of policies, date and financial information by gathering, analyzing and interpreting financial and statistical data; making sound recommendations as needed to increase efficiency and compliance with internal controls.
- Identify noncompliance and take appropriate action to correct and educate staff to become compliant; internal controls assessment and resolution.
- Produce quality and informative financial reports and statements.
- Research errors and take corrective actions using critical thinking and decision-making skills.
- Recruit, hire, direct, evaluate and coordinate the work of employees in complex roles.
- Manage staff resources in a consistent and equitable manner.
- Coordinate, oversee, administer and evaluate the daily operation of Student Accounts and Treasury based on generally accepted professional office practices and procedures.
- Be extremely organized and detail-focused; meet deadlines in a busy, high-traffic environment with attention to detail.
- Promote an atmosphere conducive to cooperation and motivation; contribute productively in group settings and work in teams; active participation in staff meetings, training sessions, staff development workshops and retreats.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to teach others/share knowledge; and the motivation to learn independently.
- Communicate openly and honestly while respecting the perspectives of others.
Minimum Required Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field with three (3) years of related experience; or any combination of experience and education that provides the competencies necessary to successfully handle the duties and responsibilities assigned to the position.
- Minimum of five (5) years experience in directly supervising 5 or more employees.
- Minimum of three (3) years experience in customer service to a diverse customer base in a fast-paced environment.
About the Business Services and the UM
Business Services is committed to providing financial services responsive to the needs of students, faculty and staff of the University of Montana. We wholeheartedly support the pursuit of academic excellence by students and faculty. We proactively meet challenges, enhance their services and achieve productive results. We deliver exceptional customer service to all that require our assistance to successfully reach their educational goals.
The University of Montana provides a culture that values hard work, intellectual curiosity, diversity, collegiality, innovative thinking, and teamwork, making it a great place to grow and develop professionally. The University of Montana is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people who would assist the University in demonstrating its essential values of innovation and creativity, impact, openness, and partnership.
Position Title: Accounting Associate Manager
Position Number: New
Department: Business Services
Work Schedule: Full-time, 1.0 FTE (40 Hours a week), Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, 12 months/year.
Salary: $20.687/hr– Current employee’s rate of pay for this position will be determined by the staff compensation plan and may be different from the posted salary.For questions and details regarding the staff compensation plan, email the Compensation Department.
Union Affiliation: none
Probationary Period: Six months minimum
Benefits Include: Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to Offer of Employment In accordance with University regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's PreferenceReasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. References: References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing: Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility: All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
How to Apply
Priority Application Date:*Wednesday, October 24, 2018*by 11:59 PM (Mountain Time)
Complete applications received by the ‘Priority Application Date’ will be guaranteed consideration. The position will remain open until filled. Candidates are required to submit the following materials online via "New Resume/CV" button below
A complete application Includes:
- Letter of Interest – addressing your qualifications and experience related the stated required skills for the position.
- Detailed Resume – listing education and describing work experience.
- Professional References – names and contact information for three (3) professional references.
Need additional help? Check out our UM Jobs FAQ website.
Tracking Code: 2094-254
Job Location: Missoula, Montana, United States
Position Type: Full-Time/Regular