University of Montana Admissions Counselors, Enrollment Services in Missoula, Montana
The University of Montana’s Enrollment Services invites applications for three Admissions Counselorsto recruit prospective students to the No. 1 university in the state of Montana, according to the Best Colleges, U.S. News & World Report, 2018. We seek self-starters with a passion for higher education; an understanding of Generation Z (Gen Z); the ability to relate to teenagers and parents; and the ability to communicate complex information to a variety of audiences including financial aid information. If you are resilient, persistent and competitive, yet compassionate and empathic, then this is the position for you. We are especially interested in applications from individuals with diverse perspectives and backgrounds.
Admissions Counselors provide accurate and ethical admissions counseling and information about UM’s academic opportunities, admissions requirements, affordability, student life, policies and procedures. You will be responsible for planning and implementing outreach services, as well as recruitment on and off campus. You will also responsible for assisting in the development and implementation of a strategic recruitment plan.
It is expected each admissions counselor will develop into a senior recruiter for UM by attending college fairs and other similar events, as well as by visiting high schools and other colleges to share pertinent information. Admissions counselors are in regular contact with prospective students (and their guardians as necessary) via phone, email, written documentation and other correspondence. You will also be charged with developing highly functional relationships with a wide variety of campus and community representatives in order to further the objectives of Enrollment Services. Admissions counselors will also be responsible for the creation and editing of publications designed to enhance recruitment activities.
- Valid Montana driver’s license or the ability obtain this license within six (6) months of hire
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with academic programs and student services provided by institutions of higher education
- Demonstrated knowledge of recruitment trends and experience in domestic recruitment practices and procedures
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to establish and maintain positive relationships with prospective students and their families.
- Effective public relations, public speaking and written communication skills with the ability to make presentations and represent the University of Montana in a professional manner (applicants selected for interview will be required to make an unrehearsed presentation and provide a writing sample)
- Demonstrated knowledge of or the ability to learn University of Montana policies and procedures
- Demonstrated knowledge of (or the ability to learn within a reasonable time period) effective marketing strategies; ability to present materials to the intended audience
- Proven ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Demonstrated organizational, time management and multi-tasking skills with the ability to complete tasks in a busy environment
- Demonstrated planning and decision-making skills and the ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and exercise sound judgement
- Must be willing to work flexible hours, evenings and weekends as needed
- Must possess a willingness and ability to travel for extended periods of time
Minimum Required Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field, as well as at least two (2) years of directly related experience; or any combination of education and experience that would provide the competencies required to successfully perform the duties assigned to the position.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the academic programs and services offered at the University of Montana
- Demonstrated knowledge of Banner
- Demonstrated knowledge of a CRM
About the UM and and Missoula
The University of Montana transforms lives by providing a high-quality and accessible education and by generating world-class research and creative scholarship in an exceptional place. We integrate the liberal arts and sciences into undergraduate, graduate, and professional studies to shape global citizens who are creative and agile learners committed to expanding the boundaries of knowledge and to building and sustaining diverse communities.
UM offers one of the richest learning environments in the country. Our liberal arts and sciences tradition and interdisciplinary focus are the foundation of undergraduate, professional, and graduate programs that foster critical thinking and integrative problem-solving. A research-intensive, associate through the doctoral degree-granting institution, UM is an essential part of Missoula: a culturally vibrant college town characterized by scenic beauty, a socially engaged community, and a healthy economy.
Located in the heart of the northern Rocky Mountains, Missoula offers a stunning natural landscape where five valleys and three major rivers converge. UM’s location provides a strong foundation for world-class programs focused on the environment. UM also excels in fields such as human health and biomedical sciences, business, law, education, and journalism. As a major center for the arts and culture in Montana, UM educates artists, performers, and writers. The Payne Family Native American Center highlights the University’s commitment to the Native American communities of Montana, the largest minority group in Montana and on campus, and houses our outstanding Native American Studies program. The University is further committed to meeting societal needs through strong programs in the humanities, sciences, and professions. The Davidson Honors College serves as the symbol of UM’s commitment to excellence in undergraduate education. UM’s fully integrated two-year unit, Missoula College, offers workforce development as well as baccalaureate pathway programs. The University of Montana is an NCAA Division I institution and competes in 15 intercollegiate varsity sports.
To learn more about the University of Montana, Missoula, and the State of Montana, please visit the links below.
- University of Montana
- Video: UM Lifestyles
- University Highlights
- City of Missoula
- Video: There's This Place
- Destination Missoula
- Missoula Area Chamber of Commerce
- The State of Montana
- Visit Montana
Position Title: Admissions Counselor (Admissions Rep I)
Position Number: 005100; 005360; 005380
Department: Admissions and Enrollment Services
Work Schedule: Full-time, 1.0 FTE, 12 months/year. Position requires alternative work schedule.
Salary: $14.923/hr– Position is salaried and exempt from overtime. Position may be hired as an Admissions Rep I ($14.923/hr) or Admissions Rep II ($19.163/hr), dependent on qualifications. The position is designed for career ladder progression; advancement from Admissions Rep I to Admissions Rep II is expected within 12 to 18 months. Current employee’s rate of pay for this position will be determined by the staff compensation plan and may be different from the posted salary.For questions and details regarding the staff compensation plan, email the Compensation Department.
Union Affiliation: Montana Federation of Public Employees (MFPE)
Probationary Period: Six months minimum
Benefits Include: Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to Offer of Employment In accordance with University regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's PreferenceReasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. References: References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing: Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility: All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
How to Apply
Extended Priority Application Date: Sunday, November 18, 2018by 11:59 PM (Mountain Time)
Complete applications received by the “Priority Application Date” will be guaranteed consideration. Position will remain open until filled. Candidates are required to submit the following materials online via "New Resume/CV" button below.
*Please note, only five (5) attachments allowed per application. Please combine documents accordingly.
A complete application Includes:
- Letter of Interest – addressing your qualifications and experience related the stated required skills for the position.
- Detailed Resume – listing education and describing work experience.
- Professional References – names and contact information for three (3) professional references.
Need additional help? Check out our UM Jobs FAQ website.
Tracking Code: 2099-254
Job Location: Missoula, Montana, United States
Position Type: Full-Time/Regular