University of Montana Computer Support Specialist I, Information Technology in Missoula, Montana
Information Technology (IT) invites applications for a Computer Support Specialist I to provide desktop (PC & Mac), printer and mobile device support to a variety of campus stakeholders. In addition, this position will be responsible for providing support for a variety of standard business applications (Outlook, Excel, Word, etc.). This position will be responsible for the troubleshooting of network connections for Windows PCs, Macs, printers and mobile devices. This position will be responsible for lab management, including hardware, and software deployments. This position may assist with training up to a dozen student employees.
This position requires incumbent to complete the LANDesk Remote Management Training; complete the MCTS or MCSE Certification; and complete the ITIL Foundation Certification.
- Experience supporting current Windows operating systems in a business setting.
- Command Line
- Scripting (Batch, PowerShell, etc.)
- Experience supporting Mac OSX in a networked environment.
- Experience with Active Directory management.
- Experience supporting smart mobile devices in a business setting.
- Understanding of enterprise business services such as
- Calendar/Scheduling o Identity Management
- Basic understanding and knowledge of server concepts and usage.
- Strong knowledge, skill, and ability to work with a wide variety of computer hardware and software.
- Excellent problem-solving and strong computer and network troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to distinguish among user-caused, system software caused, and hardware related problems.
- Understanding of security concerns in a networked environment.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Good interpersonal skills to defuse tense situations and to reassure clients about steps being taken to solve their problems.
- Ability to listen, ask pointed questions, and assess problems, often without seeing the problem first hand (help is often requested over the phone).
- Ability to communicate technical information about hardware, software, and techniques in understanding terms to a variety of audiences with varying skill levels.
- Strong commitment to providing high-level customer service.
- Demonstrates ability to be prompt and responsive.
- Demonstrates empathy for customers.
- Experience in organizing and prioritizing work for self and others.
- Good decision-making skills to handle minute-to-minute issues.
Minimum Required Experience
- High school diploma (or equivalency) in addition to one (1) year of related experience/training in a medium (>50 employees) setting; or any combination of experience and education that provides the competencies necessary to successfully discharge the duties and responsibilities assigned to the position.
- Associate’s degree or 2 years of experience in a large (>100 employees) setting.
- Previous customer service experience
- A+ Certification
- ACMT Certification
- Endpoint Management Experience
- IT Related Training/Experience/Certifications
About the Information Technology and UM
The mission of the Information Technology unit (IT) is to provide leadership in identifying and supporting the information technology infrastructure required to support the broader strategic and tactical plans of the University of Montana - Missoula, the four campuses of the multi¬campus University of Montana, and the Montana University System.
The mission of the Client Services Division is to provide a high level of proactive customer and technical support to students, faculty and staff that increases the ease of their use of campus operated technologies.
The University of Montana is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and has a student body of approximately 10,000 undergraduates and graduates, including more than 1,500 students of color and more than 900 international students and scholars from more than 70 countries. We encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disability preference in accordance with state law.
Position Title: Computer Support Specialist I
Position Number: 077960
Department: Information Technology
Work Schedule: Full-time, 1.0 FTE (40 Hours a week), Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, 12 months/year.
Salary: $15.608/hr – Current employee’s rate of pay for this position will be determined by the staff compensation plan and may be different from the posted salary.For questions and details regarding the staff compensation plan, email the Compensation Department.
Union Affiliation: Montana Federation of Public Employees (MFPE)
Probationary Period: Six months minimum
Benefits Include: Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to Offer of Employment In accordance with University regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's PreferenceReasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. References: References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing: Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility: All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
How to Apply
Application Deadline:*Tuesday, January 22, 2019*by 11:59 PM (Mountain Time)
Candidates are required to submit the following materials online via "New Resume/CV" button below
A complete application Includes:
- Letter of Interest – addressing your qualifications and experience related the stated required skills for the position.
- Detailed Resume – listing education and describing work experience.
- Professional References – names and contact information for three (3) professional references.
Need additional help? Check out our UM Jobs FAQ website.
Tracking Code: 2173-254
Job Location: Missoula, Montana, United States
Position Type: Full-Time/Regular