University of Montana Groundskeeper II, Facilities Services in Missoula, Montana
Facilities Services invites applications for a Groundskeeper II. This position is responsible for all campus irrigation digging and providing external grounds and landscape maintenance. Duties include but are not limited to: digging, irrigating, and lifting of equipment and products on a regular basis; digging holes to aid in repairing irrigation; assisting plumbers while troubleshooting the University of Montana (UM) main campus irrigation systems using all manual digging tools, landscaping the area after repairs are made, fine grading and planting grass; identifying, cleaning and separating copper and brass piping; operating trimmers around valve boxes and raised valve heads; raising irrigation and valve boxes; weed control; assisting grounds department with winter snow removal and fall clean up. This position is required to operate various vehicles including trenching machine, pipe pulling machine and small tractor.
This position requires incumbent to develop working knowledge of and skill in use and operation of maintenance equipment including rakes, shovels, picks, digging bars, weed eaters, trimmers, tractor, etc.; develop working knowledge and experience operating walk-behind mowers, rototillers, leaf blowers, chain saws, sod cutters, chippers, snow throwers, etc., and miscellaneous hand tools is required; develop working knowledge of maintenance and general repair procedures for the equipment; develop working knowledge of the different irrigation components and ability to run irrigation clocks; develop working knowledge of OSHA, ANSI and UM safety policies and procedures; and develop working knowledge to perform preventative and minor maintenance on small landscape equipment and hand tools. This position also requires the incumbent to develop working knowledge and experience operating the following equipment: various riding mowers, skid steer loaders with various implements, small backhoes, dump trucks, side by side utility vehicles, Tennant sweeper, Hi Ranger aerial lift truck, snow removal equipment, and tractors with various implements, including pesticide application equipment. This position requires incumbent to obtain Montana Department of Agriculture MDA Pesticide applicators card for application of herbicides, insecticides and fungicides within six months of employment.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to follow written and oral directions including the ability to share complex information with others.
- Ability and willingness to work outside in any and all weather conditions safely.
- Ability to abide by all laws, general safety procedures, OSHA and ANSI policies and practices, University policies and procedures, and State rules and regulations.
- Demonstrated skill in the use and operation of maintenance equipment including rakes, shovels, picks, digging bars, weed eaters, trimmers, tractor, etc.
- Knowledge of the different irrigation components and ability to run irrigation clocks.
- Knowledge and ability to perform landscape maintenance (i.e. hedge shearing, shrub pruning/training, antidesiccant applications, etc.), and renovation procedures (i.e. shrub planting, mulch replacement, etc.).
- Ability to pass a pre-employment Functional Capacity Exam to demonstrate the ability to lift, twist, crouch, push, pull, ascend and descend ladders, etc.
(Qualified candidates must be able to meet minimum requirements and perform the primary functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.)
- Lifting: Ground to 60 inches, up to 50 lbs. Ground to 30 inches, 80 lbs.
- Carrying: Front carry up to 50 lbs for 10 feet or less.
- Right and left hand carry up to 75 lbs for wheelbarrow handling.
- Pushing and pulling forces required (pushing and pulling materials, and during the use of tools): 100 lbs sustained.
- Repetitive squatting on both even and uneven surfaces.
- 3 minute overhead work from various positions (standing, crouching, or kneeling).
- Static forward bending from a standing, crouching or kneeling position while using tools.
- Trunk rotation from a standing or kneeling position.
- Balancing when climbing and working on a ladder.
- Walking various distances, continuously, throughout the day on even and uneven surfaces.
- Use of various grip circumferences and strengths as well as static grip positions during the use of various tools (4 1/2" to 5 1/2" circumference needing an average of 50 lbs of grip force) and while manipulating various work materials (maximum 100 lbs).
- Use of foot controls and hand controls to drive and operate light and heavy machinery.
Physical Screen will be administered prior to a final offer of employment.
Minimum Required Experience
- High school graduation and two (2) years of related work experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Possess a valid Montana driver’s license or be able to obtain one at the time of employment.
- Possess a Montana Department of Agriculture MDA Pesticide applicators card for application of herbicides, insecticides and fungicides or be able to obtain one within six (6) months of employment.
- Knowledge of maintenance of general landscape and irrigation systems.
- Have a MT. Dept. of Ag MDA Pesticide applicators card for application of herbicides, insecticides and fungicides.
- Experience operating equipment (trenchers, pipe pullers, tractors and skid steers).
About the Facilities Services and UM
The Mission of Facilities Services is to assist in the development of a physical environment supportive of teaching, research, and Administration on the University of Montana campus through the operation and maintenance of the state funded Physical Plant, and providing services to the auxiliaries as required. It is also Facilities Services Mission to provide planning and construction services for all of the campus in support of the development and enhancement of the University's Physical Plant. Additionally, Facilities Services is responsible for assuring compliance with all codes related to facilities, construction, renovations, maintenance and operations of all campus facilities. This Mission of support includes long-term preservation of facilities, assets and equipment.
The University of Montana provides a culture that values hard work, intellectual curiosity, diversity, collegiality, innovative thinking, and teamwork, making it a great place to grow and develop professionally. The University of Montana is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people who would assist the University in demonstrating its essential values of innovation and creativity, impact, openness, and partnership.
Position Title: Groundskeeper II
Position Number: 087100
Department: Facilities Services - Facilities Services, Maintenance
Work Schedule: Full-time, 1.0 FTE (40 Hours a week), 12 months/year. Position requires an alternative work schedule.
Salary: $14.369/hr– Current employee’s rate of pay for this position will be determined by the staff compensation plan and may be different from the posted salary. _For questions and details regarding the staff compensation plan, email the Compensation Department._
Union Affiliation: MFPE
Probationary Period: Six months minimum
Benefits Include: Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to Offer of Employment In accordance with University regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's PreferenceReasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. References: References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing: Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility: All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
How to Apply
Priority Application Date:*Monday, September 24, 2018* by 11:59 PM (Mountain Time)
Complete applications received by the ‘Priority Application Date’ will be guaranteed consideration. Position will remain open until filled. Candidates are required to submit the following materials online via "New Resume/CV" button below
A complete application Includes:
- Letter of Interest – addressing your qualifications and experience related the stated required skills for the position.
- Detailed Resume – listing education and describing work experience.
- Professional References – names and contact information for three (3) professional references.
Need additional help? Check out our UM Jobs FAQ website.
Tracking Code: 2065-254
Job Location: Missoula, Montana, United States
Position Type: Full-Time/Regular