Billings Clinic Full Time Patient Access Specialist (Townsend) in TOWNSEND, Montana
You’ll want to join Billings Clinic for our outstanding quality of care, exciting environment, interesting cases from a vast geography, advanced technology and educational opportunities. We are in the top 1% of hospitals internationally for receiving Magnet® Recognition consecutively since 2006.
And you’ll want to stay at Billings Clinic for the amazing teamwork, caring atmosphere, and a culture that values kindness, safety and courage. This is an incredible place to learn and grow. Billings, Montana, is a friendly, college community in the Rocky Mountains with great schools and abundant family activities. Amazing outdoor recreation is just minutes from home. Four seasons of sunshine!
You can make a difference here.
Billings Clinic is a community-owned, not-for-profit, Physician-led health system based in Billings with more than 4,700 employees, including over 550 physicians and non-physician providers. Our integrated organization consists of a multi-specialty group practice and a 304-bed hospital.Learn more (https://www.billingsclinic.com/about-us/) about Billings Clinic (our organization, history, mission, leadership and regional locations) and how we are recognized nationally for our exceptional quality.
We provide a comprehensive and competitive benefits package to all full-time employees (minimum of 24 hours/week), including Medical, Dental, Vision, 403(b) Retirement Plan with employer matching, Defined Contribution Pension Plan, Paid Time Off, employee wellness program, and much more.Click here (https://www.billingsclinic.com/careers/employee-benefits/) for more information ordownload the 2021 Employee Benefits Guide (https://ncstoragemlbillings.blob.core.windows.net/public/2021%20Billings%20Clinic%20Staff%20Benefits%20Guide.pdf) .
Magnet: Commitment to Nursing Excellence
Billings Clinic is proud to be recognized for nursing excellence as a Magnet®-designated organization, joining only 97 other organizations worldwide that have achieved this honor four times. The re-designation process happens every four years. Click here (https://www.billingsclinic.com/campaign-landing-pages/magnet/) to learn more!
Full Time Patient Access Specialist (Townsend)
BILLINGS CLINIC BROADWATER (BILLINGS CLINIC BROADWATER)
Employment Status: Full-Time (.75 or greater)
Hours per Pay Period: 1.00 = 80 hours (Non-Exempt)
Starting Wage DOE: 0.00 - 0.00
Patient Access Specialists are instrumental in ensuring the efficient and effective flow of patients’ access needs throughout the facility. Responsible for greeting and registering patients, gathering appropriate demographic and insurance information, scheduling appointments, laboratory tests and ancillary services and the collection of co-payments. Position must fully understand the ramification and impact of incomplete or inaccurate information to revenue cycle. Position may float to other areas within the facility to include nursing units, rehabilitation services, etc. to assist with patient flow.
Essential Job Functions
• Supports and models behaviors consistent with Billings Clinic’s and facility’s mission, vision, values, code of business conduct and service expectations. Meets all mandatory organizational and departmental requirements. Maintains competency in all organizational, departmental and outside agency standards as it relates to the environment, employee, patient safety or job performance.
• Greets patients and identifies any red flag symptoms requiring triage/assessment by nurse, completes on-line registration information gathering complete demographic and insurance information that results in the ability to provide correct information for patients, guarantor, and insurance follow-up. Competently and courteously educates patients about various forms that require their signature.
• Schedules, reschedules and coordinates appointments in a manner that meets the patient’s needs and assists the department in the management of patient flow utilizing knowledge of physician/non-physician scheduling protocols. May schedule and enter orders for ancillary services via the information systems. Instructs patients on specific preparations and/or restrictions necessary to prepare for ancillary procedures as defined by clinical protocols. Floats to provide front desk support at the various nursing units as may be needed.
• Initiates collection of co-payments in accordance with each patient’s individual insurance requirements. Collects deposits on account from self-pay patients. Accepts all other payments on accounts and provides cash receipts for all transactions. Maintains and reconciles cash drawer bank deposit by following written reconciliation policies and procedures ensuring each cash drawer balances daily.
• Assists walk-in patients with non-encounter based access (i.e., blood pressure checks) and coordinates communication with the clinical providers or other patient care staff as appropriate.
• Coordinates with patients, providers, nursing staff to ensure Medicaid Passport and other authorizations for referrals required by insurance carriers are obtained and entered into the scheduling system for reimbursement purpose.
• Performs patient check out/procedure and scheduling processes.
• Responsible for monitoring waiting areas to ensure areas are clean and neat. Monitoring to ensure patient flow is optimized and wait times do not exceed 15 minutes.
• Prints and reconciles the missing encounter to ensure all encounter forms are accounted for. Provides appropriate communication to the clinic department manager.
• Responsible for receiving all incoming faxes, mail, freight and packages and for timely distribution to appropriate areas.
• Responsible to courteously and accurately answer and direct physician and consumer telephone calls per department standards in a clear audible voice. Pages, transfers and delivers calls to appropriate destinations using predetermined questions format. Articulates Pages are conducted in a friendly, clear, readable and concise manner. Responds to basic inquiries regarding the facilities’ services, program offerings and physician specialty information.
• Screens incoming nursing unit telephone calls for appropriate referrals to nurse, physician and/or non-physician provider.
• May assist nursing staff with initiating follow-up calls to patients for no-shows, referral appointments and other general questions.
• Performs other duties as assigned or needed to meet the needs of the department/organization.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Billings Clinic policy and procedures, both organizational and departmental
Personal computers, hardware and software
Billings Clinic Code of Conduct
Billings Clinic’s Compliance and Integrity Program
HIPAA and confidentiality requirements
Customer service techniques and Personal Service Excellence (PSE)
• Common policies and procedures, both organizational and departmental
• Code of Business Conduct
• Compliance Program
• Personal computers, hardware and software
• HIPAA and confidentiality requirements
• Patient’s rights
• Clinic physicians and specialties
• Medical terminology
• Telephone etiquette
• Customer service techniques and Personal Service Excellence (PSE) skills
• Professional communication skills, both verbal and written
• Order entry for ordering of laboratory and ancillary services as requested by clinical provider
• Basic typing at 45 WPM
• Basic ten key
• Analytical skills to solve simple to semi-complex problems
• Organization, prioritization, and time management
• Conflict resolution
• Incorporate population specific needs into all aspects of communication and patient care; scope of services provided will encompass age groups ranging from infant through geriatric
• Communicate clearly and effectively, both verbal and written
• Establish and maintain collaborative relationships
• Operate required office machines
• Concentrate and pay close attention to detail and work independently
• Must be able to handle multiple tasks at one time
• Maintain composure in a position that has considerable deadlines, customer contact, and high volume
• Be flexible to facilitate change
• Complexity & Difficulty
Registration errors can result in incorrect identification of the patient, guarantor and financial information necessary to facilitate billing and collection procedures resulting in loss of reimbursement and patient satisfaction issues
• Inappropriate scheduling practices can result in loss of productivity and patient satisfaction issues
• Position requires highest degree of integrity and confidentiality due to the sensitive nature of information handled; failure to maintain patient confidentiality could result in legal action and patient satisfaction issues.
- High school diploma or equivalent
Some college or healthcare focused classes preferred such as medical terminology, medical office practices, etc.
Other Minimum Qualifications
• Demonstrated excellence in customer service skills
• Or an equivalent combination of education and experience relating to the above tasks, knowledge, skills and abilities will be considered.
One year customer service experience; healthcare preferred
Billings Clinic is Montana’s largest health system serving Montana, Wyoming and the western Dakotas. A not-for-profit organization led by a physician CEO, the health system is governed by a board of community members, nurses and physicians. Billings Clinic includes an integrated multi-specialty group practice, tertiary care hospital and trauma center, based in Billings, Montana. Learn more atwww.billingsclinic.com/aboutus (https://www.billingsclinic.com/about-us/)
Billings Clinic is committed to the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity. All policies and processes are designed toward achieving fair and equitable treatment of all employees and job applicants. Employees are encouraged to discuss any concerns they have in this regard with their immediate supervisor and/or the Vice President People Resources. All employees and job applicants will be provided the same treatment in all aspects of the employment relationship, regardless of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, genetic information or disability.